17 Experiences All Resident Assistants Have Had, Reenacted By Buddy The Elf

17 Experiences All Resident Assistants Have Had, Reenacted By Buddy The Elf

Sometimes you feel like Buddy, but mostly you feel like Walter.

6424

Being an RA isn't for the faint of heart. You need to help the freshmen acclimate to college like how Buddy learned to navigate New York, and sometimes you have to deal with situations as sticky as maple syrup.

There's a lot to this classic Christmas comedy that highlights what almost every RA experiences on the job.

1. What you imagine some of your residents think during quiet hours

At Miami, we have 24/7 quiet hours in the residence halls the week of final exams. Of course, when it's so close to Christmas and people are getting in the holiday spirit, this can lead to a few issues.

2. When you just want someone to appreciate your beautiful bulletin boards and detailed door decs

One time a resident told me she thought the owl door decs I made were adorable, and it made my entire day.

3. When you see someone you don't recognize wandering the corridor/hall

Also, when you didn't know you had a new resident move in.

4. When you do health and safety inspections and one room has trash and dirty laundry everywhere

This is usually a bigger problem with boys' rooms than girls' rooms, just saying.

5. Trying to plan fun and engaging programs

And trying to figure out what free food to offer to get people to come.

6. How you feel when no one shows up to your program

Hey, it happens to the best of us.

7. When you need to step in and address an issue or follow up with a resident

We all have our stern RA voice that comes out when we're handling incidents.

8. When you have to accept that some of your residents don't like you/won't want to talk to you

Usually this is right after you've written them up for something, but some students are just aloof.

9. How it feels sometimes being one of the few upperclassmen in the hall

It really hits you how much older and wiser you are when a freshman asks you something simple, like where to pick up a package or how to find out who their academic advisor is.

10. When you find out one of your residents did something amazing

You're always rooting for them to be their best and do their best! An A on your calc exam? YOU GO GIRL!

11. When you have a resident who needs your help with something all the time

Hey, you're there to help, right?

12. All the icebreakers and getting-to-know-you questions at the start of the year

For me, learning and remembering all my residents' names is the hardest part.

13. When the students who go out every night of the week tell you that they're behind on their schoolwork

What did I tell you about getting sucked into party culture the first week of school?

14. When you're trying to schedule one-on-ones and some of your residents are ghosting you

You know it's nothing personal, but it's still a little frustrating.

15. Leaving events or plans with your friends early because you're on duty

It's a bummer, but you'll see them again soon.

16. When it feels like your friends ONLY make plans on nights you're on duty

A common line dropped in the group chat is "I can't, I'm on duty."

17. When a fellow staff member offers to cover or switch a duty night

Knowing your staff has your back makes the job a lot easier.

Being a resident assistant is a lot of work, but it's also fun and rewarding at the same time. Now kick back and relax over the holiday break, you've earned it!