I'm A Republican Yet I Feel The Bern

I'm A Republican Yet I Feel The Bern

I didn't come to college and become a Liberal, I came to college and was educated on looking at the issues instead of the party.

430
I'm A Republican Yet I Feel The Bern

I'll be the first to tell you that I'm a conservative Republican. I was raised that way with learning about guns before my alphabet, that the Bible is the word we go by, and life is always what we choose. However, I think I may be leaning towards Bernie Sanders for president. I have been saying all along if Trump and Clinton are our two choices that we are in more trouble than we are now with Obama. But, as Sanders climbs the polls closer and closer to Clinton I feel my smile get a little brighter.

Why Sanders? There are a few main issues that are important to me; gun rights, education (especially Headstart), and women's rights.

Gun Rights and Bernie - He doesn't want to take our guns away. He wants to protect us by making it a little harder to get your hands on one. Sanders wants more thorough background checks, and keeping them out of the hands of mentally ill. Vermont - which is where Bernie Sanders is from - is the most gun friendly state in America, yet has the lowest rate of gun related crime. He must be doing something right.

Education and Bernie - Not only does he want to make college tuition and debt free, but he supports young people. I am working so hard to go to college (that I can't afford) to help our future generation become better. Our future government leaders. Yet, the government is making a huge profit off of me. Also, I fall under the American with Disabilities Act. I have ADHD, and this plan strives to give me equal opportunity in college. This is a big platform for him, and he is striving to keep that equality there. He also wants to keep No Child Left Behind out of schools. Nothing makes me more angry than this. I don't care how great of a teacher I am, if you give me a child who just moved here from Mexico and doesn't speak a lick of English I am not going to have him on the same level as my other students. This is impossible, and he should not be graded on if whether or not he can pass the same test as my students who have lived here all their life. He also wants to fund early childhood programs like Headstart. I am a HUGE supporter of Headstart. I don't care how much money your parents have, you didn't have a choice on who you were born to and you should have equal education no matter what.

“The Americans with Disabilities Act established a clear national mandate that we as a nation have a moral responsibility to ensure that all Americans have access to the programs and the support needed to contribute to society, live with dignity, and achieve a high quality of life.”

- Senator Bernie Sanders

Women's Rights and Bernie - Whether it is denying women the right to their own bodies, or paying them less to do the same job as a man women are not equal in America yet. I know we have come a long way, but we are not where we need to be. Believe me, I love children, and I think they should always be brought into the world in a SAFE manner. However, if a woman may die because of a pregnancy, or was raped and that child is going to hinder the mother from finishing school, I understand. Planned Parenthood doesn't just do abortions, they are the only option for some women to detect cancer, give them birth control, or give them STD testing. Not only does Sanders want to let women choose, but also wants to have equal pay. Women earn 78 cents to every dollar a man makes for the same exact job. So you're saying just because he has a penis he can do a better job than me? I don't think so. We are equal, and should be treated so.

Before Bernie Sanders, I may have rolled my eyes when you told me you were a Democrat. My family told me that I better not come home a liberal after being away at college. But honestly it doesn't matter what party, what matters is the issues, and if we are looking at those then I most definitely #feelthebern.