Here's To Luke Perry, A Brilliant Life And Career Cut Far Too Short
Celebrities

Luke Perry's wonderful spirit will be missed.

209

On March 4, 2019, Luke Perry passed away from complications of a stroke. He is survived by his fiancee Wendy Madison Bauer, ex-wife Minnie Sharp, and two young children, Sophie, 18, and Jack, 21. They were at his bedside surrounding him with love and support when he passed.

Luke Perry was born Coy Luther Perry III in Mansfield, Ohio and grew up in the small town of Fredericktown. Shortly after he graduated high school, Perry moved to Los Angles to pursue acting as a career. He worked odd jobs to make ends meet until he landed a role in 1988 as Ned Bates in the soap opera, "Loving."

In 1993, he married Minnie Sharp, and they divorced in 2003. They still had joint custody of their two children and raised them together.

He appeared in other small soap opera roles over the years, but it was his role as Dylan Mckay in the original 90210 that cemented his position as a Hollywood heartthrob. The show was both popular and heavily criticized for touching upon topics such as teen sexuality.

Despite that, he was incredibly popular. When he came on stage at an event to sign autographs, people fainted, and twenty people were sent to the hospital from injuries due to trampling.

For the past few years, he has been on the CW's gritty TV adaptation of the Archie Comics: "Riverdale."

His teenage fans in the '90s aren't the only ones who showed immense love for him. Fellow 90210 cast member Shannon Doherty expressed her love for him.

Other cast members from various shows, including Riverdale, have released an outpouring of love for their cast member. His daughter, Sophie Perry stated that she was grateful for all of the love and support, but that she was quietly dealing with something horrific, while still in the public eye.

From fans and Hollywood peers and children alike, Luke Perry is being praised as a wonderful actor, friend, father and human being. Both his life and his career were tragically cut short. His family has asked for privacy, and in lieu of gifts or flowers, have asked that you donate to Fight Colorectal Cancer and to St. Jude's Hospital, two causes which were very important to him. Please also take the time to remind yourself of the signs of a stroke.

Riverdale has halted production for the time being, as his co-workers mourn and work on a way to respond to his death in the show. While saying goodbye will never be perfect, I trust that the cast and crew who dearly respected him will do him justice.

Luke Perry had finished filming a film with Quentin Tarnintino, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," set to come out this July. He will star alongside big names such as Brad Pitt and Leonardo Dicaprio.

Luke Perry's wonderful spirit will be missed. May he Rest in Peace.