To My Fellow Graduates, Remember This Childhood Lesson

With the sturdiest shoulders and the strongest hearts, the Class of 2020 mastered college, but now we have a new project to conquer: our minds.

69
Photo by Karly Jones on Unsplash

While we prepare to walk across a virtual stage and enter an almost jobless market, our Graduating Class of 2020 needs to remember this painstaking yet relevant saying that our parents engrained into our brains growing up: "Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." COVID-19 may have temporarily made our academic, personal and career lives bitter, but the future certainly looks sweet if we do something we hated to hear during our childhoods. We must be patient.

Be patient, you will be commemorated

Our last four years of mastering the art of juggling jam-packed lives as Scarlet Knights, such as good grades, extracurriculars, jobs, internships, and social lives, will soon be commemorated. In-person commencement is on the horizon. For now, we have to be patient and make the most out of DIY graduation photos and a virtual graduation stage.

Be patient, the economy will recover

As the latest alumnae entering the questionably existent job market, it's scary to see the stock market plummet further everyday. It's scary to have unanswered job application after unanswered job application. It's scary that our grace-period clocks start ticking soon, and to think where the economy will be six months from now. These are fears that will alleviate with patience. Isolation will soon end and the economy will recover. We hate to hear it, but we have to be patient.

Be patient, the best things will come

And the worst will soon end. With the sturdiest shoulders and the strongest hearts, the Class of 2020 mastered college, but now we have a new project to conquer: our minds. I'm also writing this as a reminder to myself that our time will come. As someone who likes to think she mastered the art of juggling, patience and positivity are the new skills we all need to conquer.