Remember Life Is Good, So Be Spontaneous

Do something that you normally wouldn't every once in a while.

96

Over Memorial Day weekend, one of my best friends and I drove the 8-hour drive from our school to our houses. It was such a long, tiring drive, but it was also one of the most amazing experiences I've had to date. One of the biggest reasons why I believe it is one of the best experiences is because it was a trip that was made out of complete spontaneity.

We weren't going to leave campus that weekend until a little game of odds made the decision for us. If you aren't familiar with odds, you and the other person choose a number between anything such as one and ten, and you count down from three. If you say the same number, then you do the thing you played odds for. In this case, it was odds we go home. For the first time ever, we said the same number, and with that, we left the next morning.

Even though the drive was one of the longest I've been on in a while, it was totally worth it. I have never been more spontaneous in my life. It made me feel free, independent, and like I was in control of my life (finally). Because of this one spontaneous moment, I am inspired to be more spontaneous as time goes on.

I would have never done something as simple as driving home for a long weekend a year ago. I would have been too nervous, too lazy, or just not willing to wake up at 4 a.m. I'm proud of myself for doing something that I used to be terrified of (which is driving in general, especially on a freeway). I feel like even though this was just a small excursion, I grew from it.

Take time to be proud of yourself, even over small things. Boost your own self-esteem, because no one else is as good at complimenting you as you are. Remember that you are growing still and that each small accomplishment is a step in the right direction.

I think it is so crucial to do things you normally wouldn't every once in a while because it is not only fun, but it is a growing experience as well. It is a healthy mix between sanity and insanity. Going out and doing something that isn't part of your usual daily routine gives off such a good feeling that you won't want to ever end.

Although it is rare to have a day or two where you don't have anything to do, be sure to take one of those boring, stay-at-home kind of days to do something out of the ordinary. Drive to the beach and stay for a day, drive through the mountains (make sure you have enough gas!) until you reach a small town, or do anything else of that nature. Do it alone, or do it with someone else. Whatever you do though, be sure to do it for yourself.