15 Taylor Swift Lyrics That Proves She's So Dang RELATABLE

And that she writes about more than just boys.

29

Sometimes it's hard to remember a time when Taylor Swift wasn't one of the leading vocalists and recording artists in the world. But just 12 short years ago we were all hearing her self-titled "Taylor Swift" album for the first time. And just like that she became one of the most well recognized female voices, topping music charts and being played constantly on the radio. But it wasn't just her plucky guitar melodies or her vocal talent that made her a star. It was her ability to write lyrics that spoke to women (and men) across the country. She fell in and out of love, she was young and awkward, and she was just trying to figure out her life. And in that sense, she was so dang relatable. So here's 15 lyrics that prove just that.

1. "Oh I'm just a girl, trying to find a place in this world."

taylor swift

This could basically be the anthem of every young adult in their 20s.

Song: "A Place in This World"

2. "Nobody ever lets me in.And I can still see you; this ain't the best view."

taylor swift Taylor Swift

Everyone remembers the awkwardness of being left out at some point in their lives. Taylor sums it up pretty well with a song that is so reminiscent of many people's middle school and high school experiences.

Song: "The Outside"

3. "And you're tied together with a smile but you're coming undone."

taylor swift

We all know this feeling.

Song: "Tied Together With A Smile"

4. "And I don't try to hide my fears, my secrets, or my deepest fears. Through it all nobody gets me like you do."

taylor swift

I read that Taylor wrote this song about her best friend, and the lyrics certainly reflect that.

Song: "I'm Only Me When I'm With You"

5. "I've found time can heal most anything, and you just might find out who you're supposed to be. I didn't know who I was supposed to be. At fifteen."

taylor swift

Another song about the turbulence of being a teenager.

Song: "Fifteen"

6. "People are people and sometimes we change our minds."

taylor swift

Taylor reminds us that sometimes the people we know the best, who we think will be around forever, leave. And then we have to continue on without them.

Song: "Breathe"

7. "I know you were on my side, even when I was wrong. And I love you for giving me your eyes, staying back and watching me shine."

taylor swift

Swift calls it the "age of princesses and pirate ships", and sings a song that reminds us of our own time growing up. I particularly love this song because there are so many daddy-daughter songs out there, but not nearly enough mother-daughter ones, and this one does a great job of recounting everything a mother does for her daughter while the latter grows up.

Song: "Best Day"

8. "Tonight we'l stand, get off our knees, fight for what we've worked for all these years."

taylor swift

A song for the underdog in everyone.

Song: "Change"

9. "Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me, and all you're ever gonna be is mean."

taylor swift

A reminder that you are so much bigger than the bullies.

Song: "Mean"

10. "Take pictures in your mind of your childhood room. Memorize what is sounded like when you dad gets home. Remember the footsteps, remember the words said, and all your little brother's favorite songs."

taylor swift

Swift pleads with her listeners not to grow up too fast.

Song: "Never Grow Up"

11. "Lives change like the weather. I hope you remember, today is never too late to be brand new."

taylor swift

We all mess up, and we all get the chance to start again.

Song: "Innocent"

12. "We're happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time."

taylor swift

This is young adulthood summed up in ten words.

Song: "22"

13. "'And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, baby I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake. I shake it off, shake it off."

taylor swift

Swift, who is constantly gossiped about and speculated on, knows from experience that you just have to ignore what everyone else says about you.

Song: "Shake it Off"

14. "Rain came pouring down when I was drowning, that's when I could finally breathe. And by morning, gone was any trace of you, I think I am finally clean."

taylor swift

Wash away the touch and thought of people who no longer serve a purpose in your life.

Song: "Clean"

15. "Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you."

taylor swift

Take pictures, remember the good times.

Song: "New Year's Day"