what strangers regret in life

8 Strangers Reveal their biggest Regrets in life

Everyone has something they regret, but what exactly are those regrets and how do people react to their regrets?

124
Madison Goldberg

Regrets are just as much as part of life as joys and people tend to not want to talk about them. It is infinitely easier to show people the things that are most attractive in their personalities like humor, light, and radiance. But it is far more beautiful to show people the brokenness, the despair, and the regrets because that kind of vulnerability makes people whole. I decided to ask 8 strangers what their biggest regret was in life.

Making the decision to take the pill.

upload.wikimedia.org

"I thought I was at the peak of my mountain of life when I was in college. I thought that 22 years old means that I was at the best part of my life and invincible enough to defeat even the biggest disasters. One night, my roommate decided to offer me this pill just as a dare. I was cool amongst my friends, the daredevil. Nothing was off-limits to me. It was a little white pill that didn't mean anything to me at the time so I took it and the last thing I remembered was my roommate's smiling face. The high was so unbelievable that I felt that I was flying over the biggest mountain ranges. That is when it started for me. The drugs. Because I thought I was better than a little white pill."

Falling in love in a coffee shop.

upload.wikimedia.org

"The first time I saw her it was at the coffee shop around the corner. I know, how ridiculously cliche is that? She had that face that made you stop and wonder if God ever did make something that and why is it the first time that you get to marvel at that. She smiled up at me from her cup of coffee and I was a goner. If I could tell myself all those years ago that she suffered from untreated mental illness and that I had to commit her, I would. Is it a real regret falling in love in a coffee shop? Not really, but I regret not recognizing the signs when I got to know her and not recognizing she needed help."

Forgetting that smartphones give the weather updates.

"It is legitimately the most beautiful day outside and I decided to wear black. My regret is not checking the weather this morning!"

Not doing the triple pat-down of the pockets.

Photo Credit: Madison Goldberg

"I realized a very important lesson that if I let my buddies take me out for the night that I should constantly do the three-pocket pat down whenever I leave the bar. Last night, I thought I had my keys but when I stumbled back to my apartment, I couldn't find it. Had to get my girlfriend to open the door at 6 in the morning. She was not a very happy camper at 6 in the morning on a Saturday morning."

Playing matchmaker with my best friend.

"See, I thought that it would be a good idea to set my friend up with my girlfriend's best friend. Very very bad idea. Do not do it unless you KNOW it will be a good match. Those two lasted 6 months together and were just very unhappy the entire time which made my girlfriend and I super uncomfortable."

Going to the clinic.

"I like to think that I am a responsible person. Does her homework, goes to class, is in bed by 11 most night, I am literally the definition of a good girl. I went to a party with my friend on a rare Friday night and met a boy that I thought could sweep up any girl off their feet. He swept mine and with one night everything that was a beautiful haze turned into devastation as I saw my future crumble apart. I now regret having gone to the clinic to take care of my situation and wonder now if I am ever ready for kids."

Taking the last brownie out of the fridge.

upload.wikimedia.org

"I was maybe 6 years old when my older sister, my older brother, and I found two pieces of brownies in fridge. We never had enough money but it was ok with us because we made do with what we had. My mom was an amazing cook and that was her presents to us. Always baking cookies and cakes. When we found those two brownies in the fridge, we thought it was Christmas and ate it up. We did not know it was our parent's anniversary that night and I don't think I can forget how she cried that night."

Taking goodnight kisses for granted.

"I forgot to kiss him goodnight because I was talking to my boyfriend on AIM. We always had a tradition of saying goodnight by a kiss on the cheek ever since I was a girl. I forgot one night and my grandpa died in his sleep the next day. I try not to take good night kisses for granted again."

While there were so many interesting stories to listen to, you never know when you find when you just ask: "What is your biggest regret?"