Reflection From The Train

Reflection From The Train

This piece is a reflective moment as I ride the Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris, soaking in the green and wintery countryside.

18
Reflection From The Train

It's easy to forget why you work so hard. If you let work and school take over the joy in your life, you will dig yourself into a rut where your life feels like it's on autopilot and there isn't any more to it. It's okay to have fun. It's okay to have a late night. It's okay to be unprepared for a meeting or unfocused during class. We are humans. It's important to set standards and expectations for yourself, but at the same time it's important to reward yourself and also remind yourself that like is meant to enjoy, not only slave away. Happiness is real and it is meant to be shared. The present moment is real and it is meant to be concrete, in the sense that you live in the present and not the past or the future.

It's almost a double edged sword - you work hard now so you can reap the benefits later. And I can't help but think, who created this mind fuck? Later isn't handed to you on a silver platter and it could also never arrive.

I don't want to participate in this game where my wheels are constantly turning over shit that isn't guaranteed. My time here isn't guaranteed and I could work my ass off now and never get to later. However, that doesn't mean I am going to stop working hard. It just means that I am not going to let society dictate when it is socially acceptable to go through major life changes. I refuse to let the pre judgements of society seep into my lifestyle so that it affects the way I choose to live my life.