Reflecting Back On 2016

Reflecting Back On 2016

2016 was full of adventure, laughter, bonding, memories and mistakes.

9
Reflecting Back On 2016

Every year I make a few resolutions for myself. For 2016 I vowed to journal more (something I actually did), eat healthier (currently writing this while eating a Rice Krispie cream cheese filling thing), and stop lying (I probably lied the same amount as every other year prior to this one). So, as you can see, I'm not very good at keeping to what I want. I guess that is probably because its fucking hard to stop bad habits. Since keeping resolutions is so hard, this isn't an article all about that "new year, new me" bullshit. This is an article that is reflecting on what new things I did in 2016t hat I would and wouldn't do again.

1.) Started the year off hungover

I'll probably do this again. However, if I have to drive to New York City (about a four hour drive) again at 8am on January 1st, I'll probably not finish the bottle of schnapps on New Years Eve.

2.) Skiing Colorado

This is a definite do again! My dad and I went to Colorado for a week in January to go skiing and the mountains out there are so huge that I could ski out there for the rest of my life and never get bored! Plus, the views are spectacular.

3.) Living with my best friends

This could have gone horribly wrong, but it didn't. I moved into their townhouse the beginning of spring semester and we had so much fun that I lived with them again the following year and now, we are looking at apartments for our senior year.

4.) Got my septum pierced

The Instagram caption read "sorry mom and dad". It hurt like a bitch and I would never get it done again if it closed up, but I love it. I love that I had it done and I love the way I look with it. I'll be sad to see it go when I start working professionally, but by then, hopefully I'll be ready to say goodbye.

5.) Got my first tattoo

This also hurt like a mofo. I cried-- a lot. However, it is also something I love (thank god since it is now on me forever!!). My brother loved fishing and so I got the little fisherman on his gravestone tattooed onto my inner arm. It is actually really beautiful. Telling my parents about it was nerve racking and I thought I would be deader than roadkill but I guess since it was for my brother they didn't care as much. You won't find me in a tattooing chair anytime soon, it would take me a little while to do get another and it would have to be insanely meaningful.

6.) Spring break with my bestie

We went to Chicago and stayed with her aunt and uncle. We explored the city every day of break. We went from museum to museum. There was a Saint Patrick's Day parade that we attended and we got so into I was standing on a fire hydrant shouting. We had so much fun, I'm doing next spring break with another friend to Bermuda!

7.) I started appreciating sunsets

I can't remember being such a sunset fanatic in 2015. My camera roll is full of sunset pictures from everywhere. My friends and I even go for sunset cruises to watch just to watch the colors change in the clouds. I love it. Totally going to continue this into 2017.

8.) Got a job I actually loved

I got a summer job waitressing at a restaurant less than 10 minutes from my house. I was waiting tables with my cousins and quickly fell in love with my fellow wait staff. The food was bomb and I made really good money so working there every day over the summer was a no biggie. I can't wait to go back!

9.) Niagara Falls

My friends and I took a day trip to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls at the end of the summer. It was sweltering hot, crowded as hell, I was sweaty and dehydrated but it was the best time ever. The falls are magnificent and going with my friends was so fun. We photo bombed family pictures and even did the new zip line over the falls. The zip line had four lines so we all got to go at the same time. It was beyond cool. 10/10 would recommend. Afterwards, we quenched our thirst and hunger by bar hoping and ordering appetizers.

10.) I got to know my brother better

My family adopted my other brother a few years ago, and this year I think we finally started to actually bond. I'm not really sure what happened, but we like hanging out with each other now. Even though he is 7 years younger than me, I have fun with him. We go to movies together, stay up late talking about life, and he even comes to me asking for advice. I can't wait to continue growing and building our relationship throughout the rest of our lives.

2016 was a great year full of adventure, laughter, memories and mistakes and I can't wait to see what 2017 holds for me!