All The References You May Have Missed In 'Look What You Made Me Do' Video

Welcome to the Reputation era!

236
Billboard

Seemingly out of the blue, singer/songwriter Taylor Swift started dropping hints on Instagram - leading devoted fans and new Swifties alike to presume a new album was on its way. After three cryptic snake videos, she announced the date of her album release and the first single. Less than twenty-four hours later, the world had received not only the new single but a music video unlike any of Swift's past videos. Her single, "Look What You Made Me Do", translated really well into a video format.

The video opens with the aerial view of dark cloud cover, panning upwards to a glowing outline of "T. S.". Right before we catch a glimpse of Swift's initials, we see a large mansion to the left of the screen. It appears to be the same design as the one we see in the music video for "Blank Space". This time around, the gardens are not brightly lit, there is no bubbly fountain, and we discover a graveyard in the back.

As the camera traverses the ground, there are glimpses of several tombstones. Two, of importance. One has the name of Swift's music-video extraordinaire, Joseph Kahn; and the second has the name of Swift's song-writing alter ego. Finally, the last tombstone comes into view reads "Here Lies Taylor Swift's Reputation." Presumably, this declaration goes hand in hand with the star's social media wipe and reinvention of herself. Her old reputation is "dead", and she's here to show us her new one.

Suddenly, Taylor Swift climbs out of the grave, completely zombified. Her dress is in tatter's, but is the same dress she wore in her last music video from the 1989 era - "Out Of The Woods". In the very first scene, everything leads to the conclusion that the old Taylor is gone.

As zombie-Swift sings, we catch a glimpse of the open grave. Lying at the bottom is the first Taylor we encountered in the 1989 era, Met Gala Taylor. In the grave, she is wearing the same dress she wore to the 2014 Met Gala. Zombie-Swift happily tosses a few shovelfuls of dirt on top of her.

The next scene is glittery and glamorous, as we find Swift laying in a bathtub full of diamonds and pearls. If you have your eagle-eyes tuned up, you'll notice a single dollar bill next to her. Over the summer of 2017, Swift was involved in a court case in which she was given the settlement of one dollar after the jury found that a radio host had groped her. It wasn't the money that mattered so much as the fact that Swift was taking a stand for women everywhere in declaring that sexual assault of any kind is not okay. If you haven't read up on her case, I highly recommend you do.

During the 1989 era, and the preview of "Blank Space", a comment was made about Taylor Swift going home after her failed dates to cry in her "marble bathtub surrounded by pearls". This scene echoes that statement, but the lyrics of her song reject the assumptions the media falsely makes of her.

On her right hand, Swift wears a snake ring coiled around one of her fingers. It seems that the snake, which was once used by her haters as a way to jab at her, has become a symbol of her new reputation and her new self. She has taken the symbol meant to hurt her and made it her own.

Which leads right into the next segment. Swift, dressed in a stunning red dress, sits on a gilded throne atop a dark marble staircase. Snakes of all sizes slither around the floor as she sings. As the camera catches her tapping her nails against the arm of the chair, you can see the words "Et tu, brute". These are the words Shakespeare's Julius Ceaser declares after being betrayed by his friends.

As she physically lifts up her tea and symbolically spills it, twelve snakes emerge from behind the back of her throne. The number is important here. Taylor Swift's lucky number has always been thirteen - so why only have twelve snakes? If you think hard enough, you'll realize the thirteenth snake is sitting on the throne beside them. Not only has Swift made the snake her own, she's completely embodied the symbolic effect of it.

During the Red-era, one of the most popular tracks on the album was the title song "Red" in which Taylor sings about how love can feel. Specifically, like "riding a new Maserati down a dead-end street".

After her tangle with the snakes, we see Swift crash a golden Maserati, and go flying through the air in slow motion. It's understandable that eventually driving a Maserati down a dead end street was going to end somewhere, and we can see now that she found the end. As she recovers from her car crash, lights blink and flash as the paparazzi take pictures of her accident - but no one stops to help her. In Swift's world, the paparazzi only serve themselves and are always there to catch her latest accident. She clutches her Grammy award as the car goes up in flames, the photographers snapping pictures of her all the while.

Dressed in what looks like a done-up orange jumpsuit, we watch as Swift swings back and forth on a perch. As the camera zooms back out, the bird cage she's trapped in comes into view. The bodyguards all around her keep careful watch as she swings in there, and eventually holds up a full lobster from her plate. The bird cage references to the condo she owns that houses a life-size bird cage, but also to the fact that people like to lock her up and pay attention to nothing but her voice

In a heist-style sequence, we enter an open bank vault where Swift and several others have donned cat masks. She swings a bat, decked out in a sweater dress that says "Blind for Love", which some Swifties are hoping is a reference to another potential song off the "Reputation" album. The cat masks could be a shout out to Swift's known love for cats, specifically her own Meredith and Olivia, named after Grey's Anatomy and Law and Order characters, respectively.

As Swift struts out of the bank vault, the ticker behind shows "stream.co". This references her infamous letter to Apple Music, demanding that artists be paid a fair amount for allowing their work to be on streaming services. When Apple complied, more and more people bought Swift's album instead of streaming it for free - making her more money than what was in that bank vault in the video.

Swift's girl-gang has always been criticized for being fake – as it's made up of mostly tall, gorgeous Victoria's Secret-type models and other celebrities. In the next scene of the video, Swift stands in front of an army of plastic, shiny androids. She wears bondage-style latex and swings a crop around as the screen behind her shows pictures of a cat and says "SQUAD" repeatedly, a term Swift frequently uses with her group of friends. She's confidently poking fun at the media poking fun at her, showing that if she wanted to, she could command an army of friends who would look and talk the way she wanted them to.

Similar to the style of her "Bad Blood" music video, Swift ends up lying on the floor next to a pile of powered-down androids and feigning faint as she sings. She shows the exhaustion and toll it takes to keep up with the many feuds and battles she takes up with the people around her.

The doors fly open as she struts into a redone ballroom, similar to one in the "Blank Space" music video. A line of men run to stand, and dance, beside her. They rip off their jackets, revealing an "I heart T.S." shirt beneath it. When Swift was dating Tom Hiddleston, a picture of the two of them was taken while he was wearing the same shirt, just not cropped like the men in the music video. It had been said that she forced him to wear it for publicity purposes.

Clad in a Hawaiian-floral suit, another version of this new Swift holds up a chainsaw and begins cutting off the wing of a plane. Her most recent ex, Calvin Harris, had a love for Hawaiian print. This scene is just another jab at one of her exes. Harris is an important one though, as he is the first person who called Swift a snake.

In the darkest scene of the music video, Swift is seen standing atop a mountain wearing a leotard that says "REP" with a glowing "T" in the background - similar to a cross. As the lights shine, various Swift personas can be seen clamoring to reach the top.

Everyone is in the pile, the Swan-Swift from "Shake It Off", the band t-shirt Swift from "You Belong With Me", even Swift's from past public events and award shows make appearances. When Reputation-era Swift throws her arms out, all the other personas begin to fall from the mountain.

As the fall, scenes of Swift speaking into a telephone, the same one used in her music video "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together", play. She says "I'm sorry, but the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, cause she's dead!" This statement has become the tagline Swift refers to now in the Reputation-era.

The final scene shows different Taylor Swift personalities all lined up. The first Swift from "You Belong With Me" puts on a surprised face, which another Swift calls her out for. The media used to harshly criticize Taylor Swift for constantly putting on the same surprised face at awards shows, like she didn't know she would be winning.

The various Swift's from "Look What You Made Me Do" battle it out, one calling another a bitch. It's not a new name for the pop star, as several people have called her this name and used it in reference to her.

Red-era Swift then calls out Fearless-era Swift for "acting all nice" and makes fun of her as she cries. Critics like to argue that Taylor Swift's persona when she was a country singer was fake. Another Swift persona remarks "there she goes, playing the victim again."

In a nasty jab to the feud between Swift and the Kardashian-West's, the Swift personality from the video that crashed her car says that she's "getting receipts". When Kim Kardashian released the video of Kanye West talking to Swift about his song in reference to her, she said that she kept all of her receipts. Swift's reputation took a turn for the worst when the video was released, and her saying that she's saving receipts from god-knows-what only spells out trouble for those who try to cause trouble with her.

When the last Taylor Swift speaks, from the persona of the 2009 awards show speech, she claims that she would "very much like to be excluded from this narrative". In 2016, at the height of the Swift vs. Kardashian-West feud, Swift posted a note on Instagram that ended with that statement. The MTV awards in 2009 were infamous for when Kanye West interrupted Swift's speech and sparked the feud that is ongoing to this day.

In short, Taylor Swift's newest music video "Look What You Made Me Do" is full of references not only to herself but to the remarks of people around her. Like she said, the old Taylor is dead.

Welcome to the Reputation era.