Masala and Mountains and Monkeys, Oh My!

Why India should be the next stop on your itinerary

32
Tumblr

My junior year of high school, I left home for a country that was an utter mystery to me: India. It was the perfect escape from the banality of small town America. It was colorful, lively, and—best of all—eight thousand miles away. I wasn’t trying to run away from my parents or anything; quite frankly, I was bored. I knew there was a lot more to life than what I was living, and I needed to experience it.

A year later, I left for the Woodstock School in Mussoorie, India, located seven thousand feet up in the Himalayas. The next year and a half was a whirlwind of amazing education and breathtaking views. It wasn’t easy to up and leave, but I now reminisce with such joy. I can’t lie — I did not enjoy every single moment I was there — but I am so glad I went.

It breaks my heart that so many people imagine India as a slum-ridden, corrupt country like we see displayed in movies and on television. Every country has its flaws, and India is no exception. But rather than focus on the bad, I’ve compiled a list of all the best things about India and why it should be the next stop on your itinerary.

THE FOOD: Indian food is NOT just curry. Sure, you can find butter chicken and garlic naan at any Indian restaurant, but you have not lived until you have eaten parantha (an Indian potato pancake) or tandoori chicken (spicy chicken cooked in a traditional clay tandoor). Beyond these, the desserts will blow your mind. Gulab jamun are fried dough balls dipped in a sugar syrup that melts in your mouth, while kheer is a rice pudding flavored with dried fruits and a whole slew of spices. Long story short: Indian food options are as abundant as its population.

Tandoori chicken

Gulab jamun

THE SIGHTS: The Taj Mahal is one of the most exquisite sights anyone could have the privilege to see, with its endless pools shrouded by beautiful landscaping, all under the dome of the famous mausoleum. Beyond the Taj, there is Varanasi, located along the banks of the Ganges River, a sacred site for Hindus, Buddhists, and more. When it comes to monuments and sacred sites, India spares no creativity in its architecture, and pictures do not do it justice.

India Gate

Varanasi

BOLLYWOOD: Bollywood movies have it all: star-crossed lovers, deeply rooted rivalries, rollicking dance numbers, and so much more. They have all you’d hope to see in a movie that spans anywhere from two to five hours long. On top of that, Bollywood actors are hot. From Ranbir Kapoor to Priyanka Chopra, they do not disappoint in the looks or the drama. And don’t worry about the language barrier; there are always poorly worded subtitles to help you follow the inevitably confusing plotline.

"Chhoti Si Mulaqat" (1967)

THE MONKEY: Most people imagine monkeys as cuddly little human-like creatures. Well, I am here to debunk that myth. Monkeys are sadistic terrors that live to steal your stuff (I once had a water bottle stolen clear out of my hand by one of those rascals), chase you until you can’t breathe, and ruin your entire life. The babies are the worst, because that means that the moms are near and they will rip you to shreds. I once saw a monkey whose baby had died, but it continued to carry the rotting corpse on its back as though it were still alive. As in, it would lick the baby skeleton to clean it. Talk about attachment issues.

Rhesus Macaque

THE TRAVEL: Whether you travel by car, bus, or rickshaw, transportation in India is an absolute thrill. The speed limit signs read “SPEED THRILLS BUT KILLS.” Blinkers are just an accessory and spot signs bear absolutely no meaning. And lanes? Not a thing. You will find yourself holding on for dear life in the back of a Tata while you will your life to a driver who has probably been navigating these roads since he was old enough to reach the pedals, using his horn to signal when he's coming around a corner. But when you're stuck in an inevitable traffic jam, no one yells at one another to move. Rather, they all get out of their cars and calmly discuss the situation. Who needs road rules when the even-keeled temperament of the Indian people can get the job done?

Auto rickshaw

THE SHOPPING: Currently, 66 Indian rupees equates to one American dollar. Sixty-six rupees can get you a carton of eggs and a loaf of bread in an Indian bazaar. Shopping for anything in India is a phenomenon in which you make the most of your money. The streets are lined with stalls selling any item you could ever need. And you never have to buy anything for list price. Haggling is an art form in which you use your best wits to make the subzi wallah give you your vegetables for a hundred rupees less than last time. If you’re a shopaholic like I am, you will have twice as much luggage coming home, because it is impossible to resist the tantalizing charm of the bazaar.

Traditional Indian bazaar

THE FESTIVALS: Sure, America has the Fourth of July, which has fireworks and barbecues and whatnot. But fireworks dull in comparison to Diwali, the Indian festival of lights. Every November, fireworks, paper lanterns, and other pyrotechnic forms are displayed across India in a celebration of a new year and the reign of good over evil. In the spring, powdered paint fills the air as India celebrates Holi, the festival of colors (imagine a paint party amplified times a million). If you choose to participate in the throwing of color, you will find not a single clean patch of skin on your body.

Diwali candle display

The throwing of Holi colors

THE PEOPLE: India is home to over a billion different people who differ not only in looks and personality, but also in language, religion, and more. They are the most wonderful people you will ever have the privilege to meet. Even those who have nothing are always willing to give you a smile or a friendly “hello.” Honestly, writing this piece has made me so nostalgic and left me with a longing to go back to a country I was lucky enough to call home for a year and a half. It doesn’t matter who you are, where you are from, or why you’re there, India will always welcome you with warm temperatures and even warmer arms.

All photo credit to tumblr.com