8 Reasons Why It's Important To Eat Breakfast

Getting your daily intake of nutrients is extremely important.

2177
LifeHack

You probably have heard, many times, how important it is to eat breakfast. There are plenty of studies that show how beneficial breakfast is. Eating breakfast can give you the energy to start your day, help keep your heart healthy, slow down your aging process, and help you lose weight!

The big question is, why do so many Americans still choose to opt out on breakfast? If you happen to be one of these people, then read along. You are about to find out how important eating breakfast is.

1. It helps you lose weight.

Normally, you would think it’s the other way around. How can eating breakfast keep you from gaining all of that extra weight? The answer is because it jump starts your metabolism, allowing your body to burn off extra calories faster throughout the day. Plus, a study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology shows that those who skipped breakfast were more likely to be obese! Other studies done by the University of Missouri show that eating a high-protein breakfast makes people feel fuller during the day. This means that there will be less snack-eating throughout the day. Another Israeli study shows women who are eating half of their daily calories for breakfast have lost an average of 19 pounds in only 3 months!

2. It boosts your energy.

Never expect your body to run efficiently on an empty stomach. If you skip breakfast, that means your body is running on empty until lunch time. Food is like fuel to the body, and eating breakfast will give you the energy to burn. Having energy comes in handy, especially on a Monday morning.

3. It reduces your risk of Type 2 Diabetes

Type 2 diabetes is commonly caused by a lack of physical activity and excess body weight. Reduce your chances of getting Type 2 Diabetes simply by eating breakfast. If you eat your breakfast, you’ll also have the energy to stay active.

4. It helps to prevent heart disease

If it doesn’t result in death, heart disease or a stroke can lead you to a decreased quality of life. Heart disease and strokes can be prevented by eating a healthy diet and staying active. Eating a healthy breakfast can help you keep a healthy weight and stay active, therefore lowering your chances of getting heart disease or a stroke.

5. It enhances your memory.

After your body has gone through a night of fasting, it is only fair that we give our brains some fuel. A good cup of coffee and a healthy breakfast does the trick. You can’t expect to do well in school or excel in the office if your memory is suffering due to a lack of food.

6. It helps you fight your cravings.

Thinking about a carb-filled pastry all morning is common when you don’t have breakfast. If you’ve skipped breakfast and fasted for a long period of time, then your brain will not stop thinking about the calories that you’ve opted out on. Do yourself a little favor, and fight your doughnut cravings by eating a sufficient breakfast.

7. It helps you get your daily nutrients.

Getting your daily intake of nutrients is extremely important. A healthy breakfast is loaded with vitamins, fatty acids, minerals, amino acids, and other nutrients that your body needs. If you start your day off on a weak nutritional standpoint, then you are going to suffer throughout the day.

8. It helps to prevent the cold & flu.

Especially when the weather starts to cool down, starting the day off right is going to come in handy. Eating breakfast will boost your immune function and give your body strength to fight off any cold and flu.

Eating breakfast is not only important for your health, but it will also give you the energy to tackle a tough day. So the next time that you are thinking about skipping breakfast, think about how much better your health (and day) can be if you just eat your breakfast. Set a challenge for yourself, and begin your breakfast-eating habits tomorrow morning!