10 Reasons You Should Watch 'Sherlock'

10 Reasons You Should Watch 'Sherlock'

With the Christmas special out now, it's the perfect time to get into the show.

3258
10 Reasons You Should Watch 'Sherlock'
PBS

Raise your hand if you've ever watched the BBC version of "Sherlock."

Now raise your hand if you would qualify yourself as "addicted" to the show. *no hands go down*

That's what I thought. Of course, by addicted, I don't mean you're reading fanfiction or stalking the show's tag on Tumblr, but more like you find yourself re-watching the episodes, following the cast and crew on Twitter, and bouncing up and down the minute you find out when the next season comes out. I don't blame you at all. "Sherlock" is arguably one of the best shows on television. Every season is introduced to critical acclaim, and it's a hit with the Emmys, BAFTAs, and even has gotten Benedict Cumberbatch a few Golden Globe nominations. It's the reason Benedict Cumberbatch is a household name, Martin Freeman got to be the Hobbit, or the reason "Elementary" exists.

You've probably heard of the show at least once, whether you've seen it or not. But this article isn't for those who have experienced it. No, this is for those who have yet to. You're really missing out, and honestly, it's a shame you haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet. So, to help motivate you, here are the most important reasons as to why you should watch this show:

1. It's not a long commitment.

Unlike most shows, which have more than 10 episodes a season, Sherlock only releases three 90-minute episodes a season, with an exception of the 90-minute Christmas special just released New Year's Day. To binge-watch everything that's on Netflix would only take you 14 hours. It only takes a little over half a day to get caught up!

2. The acting is brilliant.

There's a reason the two are critically acclaimed for their roles. Every meticulous movement and choice made by Cumberbatch and Freeman change the entire direction of a scene and one change to their expression could change the meaning of their line entirely. You truly see how complicated Sherlock is as a person, or the inner turmoil of John as he deals with the shenanigans of their cases. Even the supporting cast is spectacular. Andrew Scott shines as possibly one of the most terrifying TV villains of all time, James Moriarty, which earned him his own BAFTA back in 2012. Louise Brealey plays a character that wasn't even suppose to stay past the first episode, but she's so good that the writers purposely kept her character in the show.

3. It can jumpstart you into Sherlock Holmes.

For me personally, I started reading the Sherlock Holmes novels because of "Sherlock." I won't lie. But that was honestly one of the best decisions of my life. The books are fantastic. If you never read them before, "Sherlock" will most definitely make you want to read them. Plus, the writers often adapt episodes from the books, and it's interesting to see how these stories play out in a modern universe.

4. But, it's a clever twist on the source material.

The show takes Watson and Holmes into modern-day London. Like Sherlock said in the Christmas special, "I've always known I was a man out of his time." It feels like such a natural fit to have him transplanted into our world today. His exterior design may be modern, but the character inside is still the same man he was back when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle first spelt him out on paper.

5. It has some of the cleanest and most breath-taking shots in all television.

Whether it's the best show on television overall is arguable, but I think once you watch it, we can all agree it wins in the cinematography category. No matter who is at the helm as director, you are guaranteed some amazing and breath-taking shots. Something as simple as a pan of the 221B flat, to the extreme detail in a victim's clothing all looks so beautiful.

6. The music is an extremely important piece to the show.

The score is composed long after the editors have finished their work with the footage for "Sherlock." David Arnold and Michael Price compose their music for the show around the footage they are given. And boy does that make a difference. There is such a stronger emotional effect to the music because it's purposely written for the scene it is in. It adds so much to the series as a whole.

7. The script overall is fantastic.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a highly functioning sociopath, do your research."
"You have to remember I was a soldier, I killed people." "You were a doctor!" "I had bad days!"
"William Sherlock Scott Holmes. That's the whole of it, if you were looking for baby names."

There are so many fabulous quotes, you will find yourself remembering and laughing to yourself about long after you finished the show. Even the more heartfelt ones leave a trace in your heart. Don't even get me started on Sherlock's best man speech at John's wedding.

8. The writing is also very intelligent.

As you go through the show, you'll realize the little things Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss, and Steven Thompson all put into the scripts as they go along that are little hints or eggs relating to other things. From simple little jokes like Sherlock saying something to John about being a burglar (Martin Freeman played Bilbo Baggins, a burglar in "The Hobbit" trilogy), to direct connections to previous episodes, such as Sherlock making a comment about something Mycroft said in the previous season, they keep you on your feet as you watch. When you finish an episode, you feel smarter because you noticed these little things they added.

9. If you've never been to London, it gives a nice tour of it.

The stories are often set in the beautiful city of London, and they hit all the landmarks. The show has showcased the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace (well, the exterior of it, at least), the underground system, Chinatown, Trafalgar Square, and many more. So, for those of us who may never get to travel abroad and see the city, this show does a nice job of showcasing the highlights.

And the most important reason as to why you should watch "Sherlock":

10. It teaches you the virtues of patience.

Did I mention new episodes come out, on average, every two years? It may seem painful at first, especially now as the Christmas special just premiered this past New Year's Day, and now you have to wait at least a year, if not longer, for Series 4. But trust me, you begin to see the beauty in patience. It also definitely makes you feel less irritated having to wait 2-3 months for a regular show to come back from a winter or season finale.