7 Reasons You Should Watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine Before The Final Season Airs

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is the best show on television, no doubt about it.

5

It honestly shames me to admit that I only started watching the brilliant TV comedy Brooklyn Nine-Nine this year. I'm usually not that into cop shows; their over-the-top dramatics and often unrealistic stories bore me, and I haven't found one that I like since USA's Psych wrapped up. However, I've found myself genuinely falling in love with the cast and dynamics of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and I hope everyone realizes it before it's sixth and final season airs on NBC.

The inside jokes are fantastically funny

media0.giphy.com

Whether it's Jake tacking on "title of Amy's sex tape" to a sentence, Charles discussing his love for washing his partner's hair, or the five-thousandth reference to Die Hard, Brooklyn Nine-Nine has the best gags. What makes the jokes even better is that they always surface at the best times. Even when serious plot developments are at hand, Jake Peralta is undeterred in being as hilarious and light-hearted as possible. Maybe that's why we love him so much.

The friendships are to die for

media1.giphy.com

Nothing is quite as great as a fantastic group dynamic in a show. That's why we all loved Parks and Rec, The Office, and Friends, and that's why we also love Brooklyn Nine-Nine. As the center of the show, Jake is friends with everyone in the Ninety Ninth Precinct, but it's clear that he and Boyle are best friend goals, and we all wish we had a personal Rosa Diaz watching our backs. The whole cast has individual, amazingly developed relationships with one another, and that's all we could ever ask for.

We love a good father figure relationship

media3.giphy.com

Jake's dad left him early on in the future cop's life, so it's pretty great that the show gives Jake a father figure in the form of Captain Raymond Holt. Jake and Holt go through a lot together, and it's nice to see the once immature top detective of the NYPD go through some character development and growth. Similarly, we see Captain Holt loosen up a bit and become a better person himself thanks to his mentorship of Jake (and Amy. Of course).

In terms of diversity, this cast has no match

media3.giphy.com

Credit where credit is due, this cast gives older comedy shows a run for their money. Not only does it portray a gay, black man achieving his goal of becoming Captain of a police precinct, but it also features multiple badass Latina women, one of whom is bisexual, a black man as a sergeant, and a Jewish lead. Oh, the show also makes sure to fully represent parents as they are, with Terry, Boyle, and Gina all experiencing the difficulties of maintaining both a work and family life.

There are multiple loving, wholesome couples to ship

media1.giphy.com

Guys, let's face it, nothing defines a comedy like some super fun ships. Jake and Amy are the heart of the show... literally. Though, of course, equal if not more emphasis is put on the friendships throughout the precinct, Brooklyn Nine-Nine still makes sure to include some solid Peraltiago into the mix. We've also got the (semi-weird?) relationship between Detectives Rosa Diaz and Adrian Pimento (albeit that this relationship does not last the entire show), and the wonderfully non-emotive marriage between Captain Holt and Kevin.

It's not afraid to get real

media0.giphy.com

Remember that time when Terry was stopped and searched by a cop in the middle the street while searching for his daughter's stuffed animal? Or when Captain Holt talked about the difficulties he faced getting to his position because he was a gay, black man? Or when Rosa came out to her parents as bisexual and faced severe backlash? Or hell, even more basic things, like Gina being afraid to go back to work after giving birth to her baby, or Jake being scarred by his time in prison, or Amy being afraid to fail as a Latina woman in a predominantly male field? This show can get real, and it's those moments of depth that stand out and give it more layers than just a basic comedy.

Gina. Linetti. That's reason enough I think?

media3.giphy.com

Honestly, if you need any other reason to watch this show, I think Gina Linetti herself is reason enough. She's sassy, wonderful, and the best dancer we've seen in a while.