Reasons to get a dog in college

3 reasons Why Getting A Dog in College is a good idea

A lifetime companion is out there waiting for you! Prepare yourself. Getting a dog in college can be a great asset, but will add to the craziness of it all!

46
scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com

I knew soon as I signed the lease at my first apartment when I transferred to Mississippi State, that I wanted to get a dog. My roommate had one, and I instantly knew she needed a friend. I told myself I would wait until the perfect pupper came across my path. And one day, he did.

Getting a dog seems like all the rage right now. Students go and adopt these dogs without thinking the decision through. Taking care of a live animal is a responsibility, no matter how big or small the animal is. Just take a step back, and think before you make the decision to get a dog.

Here are the three reasons I chose to get a puppy, the second semester of my junior year.

1. A Companion

College can be a tough place. There are so many tasks to complete during the day and sometimes you just cant get all of them done. There is nothing better than coming home, and having some slobbering, rambunctious pup meet you at the front door. Your stress and worry just wash away soon as you look at that sweet face.

There is just something about being alone with your dog. Dogs have a natural sense about them and once you are truly connected to one, its almost like they can read your mind.

There have been plenty of times where I've been laying in bed, stressed to the max, and feel my dog jump on the bed and put his head on my leg as if to say "Its okay, Mama." They are the companion that is there for you, when no one else is.

2. Protection

Everyone has heard the horror stories that surround college campuses and the towns that they are in. Having protecting of any kind is almost essential in todays world. I previously lived in an apartment complex that was riddled with drugs and other illegal things.

Soon as I stepped outside with my half lab/half great dane by my side, those people participating in these illegal actions did not look my way. My sweet Sawyer protected me, and he didn't even know it. (even though he is the biggest baby every)

Having him with me all the time gives me peace. People that are afraid of dogs are less likely to approach you, if you have one with you all the time.

3. They Help You to be Active

Having a large dog means making time to keep them active. If you are thinking about adopting or buying a large breed dog, make certain you have the time to exercise them. It not only helps their physical health, but mental health as well.

Owning a large dog also helps keep the owners in shape too. Having to go on a 30 minute to an hour walk every day gets me off the couch and away from my television. It helps me unwind from the stress of class or life in general.

Being active in college is something that everyone struggles with. By owning any kind of dog, gives you the opportunity to start getting off that couch and be outside.

My goofy Sawyer Brown has blessed my life in so many ways. He helps me cope with all the stresses being an upperclassman can bring. I would recommend getting a dog to anyone who is willing to sacrifice the time and money to do it.

It sure makes life more interesting!