Seven Reasons to Study Abroad in College

12
Oregon State University

The first time I studied abroad was in my senior year of high school. For ten days in April, several of my classmates and I toured the countryside and major landmarks of England and Scotland. In just a few weeks, I will be returning to Europe to study in Iceland as a college Sophomore. Studying abroad is one of the most amazing opportunities that a college can offer. Here are seven

reasons why you should study abroad as a college student:

1. It can be cheaper than traveling abroad after college

The trip I am taking to Iceland is two weeks long and is costing me less than 200 dollars. This includes airfare, housing accommodations, transportation, activity fees, etc. In college, as with this trip, there are many opportunities to get travel costs covered by a scholarship or grant.

2. The trip is planned out for you

Often times when studying abroad, itinerary, housing accommodations, and flights are arranged by the staff in charge of the trip. This makes studying abroad much easier for first-time or inexperienced travelers.

3. It gives you the opportunity to learn outside of the classroom

Oftentimes when learning about other countries or peoples, knowledge is gained through books or the internet. Studying abroad in college allows you to get first-hand knowledge about events and history. It brings a new perspective to the things you learn inside the classroom.

4. It gives you the opportunity to learn about a culture other than your own

Not only is learning about other cultures fascinating, doing it in the country of origin prepares you for your career later in life, where you will most likely have to interact with many people from different cultural backgrounds.

5. It looks good on a resume

Many potential employers see those who have studied abroad as assets. Employers find those who have diverse experiences valuable for their company.

6. It provides a support system

Culture shock is something that effects many travelers, but what many people don't realize is that there can be just as much culture shock when returning home. The experiences you had in the country you visited may no longer be relevant and it often feels like you have lost an important part of yourself upon reentering your own country. By studying abroad in college, you gain a support system in the form of a group of people who have shared your experiences. They understand your feelings of sadness and loss.

7. It's just a lot of fun

Studying abroad allows for the opportunity to make new friends and have new experiences. It allows the traveler to learn outside of the classroom and not only teaches them about the world around them, but also about themself. It creates many fond memories and stories to share with friends and family upon returning home. It creates the feeling of having a home away from home.