4 Reasons Why Spider-Man Can't Leave the MCU

Sony and Disney better come to an agreement or I'm going to riot.

10

Tom Holland's Spider-Man is one that we've come to love over the past four or five years, some of us even more than Toby Maguire's (this is the point where I should mention Andrew Garfield, but let's be real, he didn't make that much of an impact). And now it's possible that we might lose him from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, just when he is set to become one of Marvel's main superheroes. Rumors are everywhere that Sony and Disney are working on a new agreement in light of the backlash Sony has received in announcing they are pulling Spider-Man from the MCU altogether, but there is still a chance that we will lose Spider-Man. These are just a few reasons why it is unacceptable to fans that Spider-Man leave the MCU.

1. Peter Parker isn't just Spider-Man, but an important representation of what being a teenager is like.

Tom Holland's Peter Parker is easily related to by a younger audience - an awkward high school boy who is just doing his best. In "Homecoming" and "Far From Home" he has many cringe-worthy moments, of which some may feel were too much, but the Gen-Z watchers felt in their souls. He is, perhaps, the first high school character to actually represent what it's like to be in high school. While adorable, he is dorky and a little socially awkward, and struggles to talk to the girl he likes. He's real in a way that most depictions of high school characters are not. And he isn't the only one - Ned and Betty's whirlwind romance abroad is familiar to those of us that had that weird, short relationship that made no sense and ended just as quickly as it began. MJ is just as adorably awkward as Peter, and the scene in which they get together is perfect in that they don't have that perfect, passionate kiss; it is chaste, the way most first kisses are.

2. Spider-Man adds a new level to the humor that is already present in the MCU.

66.media.tumblr.com

As mentioned above, Peter Parker brings about ways for the Gen Z kids to relate more to the MCU - this includes humor. Now, the MCU has always been humorous, and excellent at providing funny moments while still keeping it appropriate to the story, but this is another way to bring in the younger audiences.

3. Peter Parker is the perfect person to carry on the Iron Man legacy.

Let's face it - no one will ever replace Iron Man. That's not what this is about though; it's about someone who cares about keeping his neighborhood safe and, as we see in every movie involving Spider-Man, the world. Peter Parker takes after Tony Stark in a lot of ways (minus the narcissism and perpetual self-loathing), but they are most alike in their selflessness. Peter Parker describes himself as the "friendly neighborhood Spider-Man", but he doesn't hesitate to leave a school field trip to help his mentor battle a couple of aliens. When the person he's trying to protect is promptly taken by a spaceship, Peter holds onto that spaceship for dear life and winds up in space, despite Tony telling him to stay on Earth. Once there, he doesn't consider the consequences of his actions and the danger he is in, only seeming concerned with the fact that the universe is being threatened and he can help. This was always Tony's best quality, besides his love for the family he built, and it shines through in Peter as well.

4. Spider-Man is meant to be one of the big names in Phase 4.

Without Spider-Man, a lot of the upcoming Phase 4 will have to change in order to accommodate for the loss. While we only really have a general blueprint for the upcoming few years, Spider-Man is supposed to play a key part. Losing him could have a serious impact on the story.