Reasons To Go Out Of State For College

Reasons To Go Out Of State For College

Leaving my hometown was the best decision I ever made.

17
Reasons To Go Out Of State For College
alivecampus.com

I grew up in a small town where it felt like everyone was fake and that life just kept running in the same circle. When deciding on the direction of my collegiate journey, I knew I wanted to experience fresh things and meet new people. Going to college out of state was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

1. Meeting New People

When I stepped onto campus on move-in day, I did not know a single person on campus that was from my hometown or high school. I was a bit apprehensive, but I was also thrilled. My adrenaline pumped through me as attended campus events and smiled at students who soon became my family. Finding genuine friends was difficult at first, but I’m so glad that I ventured out of state. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have the phenomenal friends and family in my life that I do now.

2. Distance

Distance can be a blessing and a curse. Homesickness is real and the pain that is attached with it is all-consuming. You leave everything you know behind and venture into unknown territory. However, if you find the right campus and the right friends, college quickly becomes your home away from home. Most days I feel like Hannah Montana and that I really do have the best of both worlds. Also, the distance from your family and friends in your hometown really puts things in perspective. You learn to genuinely appreciate and value everything you have, now that your view of life has expanded.

3. Life Changing Experiences

In my short time at college, I have already been offered and partook in so many opportunities that I could not receive prior. I have traveled, lead summits, talked in panels, taught children, joined organizations, and made differences in people's lives. In an out of state environment, I am able to travel to new places and make a niche out of my new home.

4. Starting Over

My favorite part of my decision to go out of state for college is that I was provided an opportunity to embrace “Tabula Rasa” or a “Clean Slate”. I left everything I knew behind in my hometown and embodied a new version of myself. I learned that it was okay to be different and that I could use my unique qualities to be a part of something amazing. While finding my home away from home, I also discovered a family. New friendships kindled and I even unearthed another family in Greek Life.

If I chose to stay in the place I grew up, I don’t think I would be who I am today. So thank you to my parents, my old and new friends, and the school that gave me a place to embrace my passions and new self.