No, I'm Not In A Sorority And No, I Don't Wish I Was
Sororities

Not being in a sorority does not mean I lack a close-knit group of friends or that I will miss out on any aspects of my college experience.

1107

It was a phenomenon that I didn't really realize that I'd encounter. As I prepared to start college and even for a while after I started, I was constantly asked if I was going to rush at LSU. I told them no, that it wasn't in my plan and I felt a slight judgment from many of the people with which I had this conversation.

I understand where their judgment is coming from. From my high school, I would guess that over 80% of the girls going to LSU were planning on rushing and being in a sorority. However, I knew that being in a sorority was simply not my thing, and that's okay.

I knew I wanted to dedicate myself to organizations that would help further my career in mass communication and give me as much real-world experience as possible. I also wanted to surround myself with people who were interested in the same career path as I was.

In college, there are countless communities you can be a part of that aren't Greek Life, and these communities can fulfill you just as much, if not more than being in a sorority.

I'm fortunate enough to be a part of the Manship School of Mass Communication where the small college size makes it feel more like a close-knit community. The advisors and professors know you by name and genuinely care about the success of their students.

I also knew that I wanted to be a part of LSU Student Media before I started my first semester. I was very fortunate to begin working at The Reveille my first semester and find a community there.

There are so many ways to have a fun and fulfilling college experience that doesn't include socials and formals and philanthropy fundraisers. Don't knock someone else's college experience just because it doesn't mirror yours.

For some people, Greek Life simply isn't their cup of tea, so don't assume they are missing out or will regret it.