Reality Of College

Reality Of College

Notes from my limited experience.

23
Reality Of College
Lenoir-Rhyne

I just started college at Lenoir-Rhyne university like three days ago. I can already tell in my limited time here that college isn't what I thought it would be. Everyone has this idea that their dorm will be like those on Pinterest, I was no exception to this. I had a whole board full of what my dream dorm would look like and was ecstatic to start the whole shopping process. What nobody tells you is how expensive dorm room essentials really are. My whole fantasy was starting to turn into a nightmare that involved calculating numbers and checking off lists. The whole shopping experience for me, even though I love shopping—like really love it, was annoying to say the least.

When you actually get to the dorms it's easy to be excited. Let me tell you though these rooms are small. Think of a big janitor's closet and put two beds in there and presto you have a dorm room. Now my school has nicer dorms than some but really freshman year, no matter where you go, you get the short end of the stick. Speaking of finances, did you know college is really expensive? Well if not then, now you do. I personally go to a small private school located in Hickory, NC and it's a nice school. No guys I'm not kidding, it's really nice here on campus, which is why it's so expensive. Having quality silk sheets feel better than those polyester dollar store ones, so I guess the same applies to universities and education standards, the more you pay the more you get out of it.

I was also really surprised with my professors, they are all really nice and even the dean makes it her mission to know everyone on campus, which is around eight hundred and fifty people. Not only are my professors great, but so are most of the students I've met. Everyone is in the same boat of being the new kid on the block so all the freshmen are chatty with one another while the older kids are just excited to no longer be the new kids. One of my best experiences so far is me playing with the idea of joining a sorority. I know some of you might be cringing while others are saying they called this, but in all seriousness it looks amazing. I'm an only child so having like thirty sisters seems beyond fun to me, and going to the sorority party my first day only got me more hyped up. We toured house to house and I got to see four potential places for me to call my home.

Something else about college is that college towns are awesome, at least Hickory is. I take back everything I said Elon kids, because if this is how you feel in my hometown then good for you! Everything about Hickory is charming, to its mom and pop restaurants (go small businesses), unique stores, and its friendly people. Walking around downtown is beautiful with the mountains peaking over the top of buildings and ancient oak trees lining the streets, I'm confused why anyone would leave here.

Yeah so I'm not best friends with everyone, my dorm doesn't look but sort of Pinterest worthy, I do miss my mom, and I have yet to go to a ton of parties, but college doesn't need to be exactly what I wanted. This place is exactly what I needed. This is a place where I will grow and meet new people and have new experiences. I can't wait to take charge and see what my future holds.