Realities Of Spring Breaking

Realities Of Spring Breaking

Spring break is fun, but there are certain aspects where you really need to be careful.

70
Realities Of Spring Breaking
iDance Studios

I have been on a few fun spring break trips throughout my college career, but none of them were a true spring break "woo hoo" experience. The others were cultural and learning, taking place in Moscow and London. This year, I decided to go to Myrtle Beach for some fun with my two friends, Cesca and Taylor. We had a fun time and did our own learning experiences at zoos, gardens, and shopping, but we also did the normal spring break thing: clubbing.

Our school is not an area with a lot of clubs, so our spring break was our first real clubbing experience in America. And even though I read stories and watch TV and movies, I felt unprepared for the club culture. We were three friends on a girls trip, but we were surrounded by guys wherever we turned. We learned first hand the aggressive nature of guys in clubs. Some were nice and asked for permission to dance, but others just started grabbing hands and pulling, or even worse, came up from behind out of nowhere to start grinding on us. Usually when this was unwelcome, they would back off, but others were more persistent. Then we would have to travel as a pack to the bathroom or somewhere else to lose them.

Luckily, even though guys in clubs seem to be overly touchy and intrusive, there were many people that refused to be bystanders. For example, the stage was an escape for the girls because guys could not dance on it. One boy got onto the stage and the security guard immediately pushed him off the stage. Another instance was when my friends and I were dancing, a guy was getting really close to making a move from behind, but another girl who we did not know jumped in and started dancing with us to deter the guy from all of us. Girls truly look out for other girls in clubs, and that is an awesome thing. Even though sexual harassment is still running strong in clubs, girls are aware and looking out for each other. Girl power is stronger than ever with the Me Too movement and Times Up.

Understanding club culture is important for many people who have not gone to clubs or have not had a fun spring break yet. I hope that others will be aware as they take their trips in the future!

I also want to give a huge shout out to Cesca and Taylor for a fun spring break and for being great protectors in clubs!