A Realistic Summer Bucket List

A Realistic Summer Bucket List

A list that's completely doable.

65
A Realistic Summer Bucket List
wordpress

Every summer, my best friends and I compile this huge list of our goals -- from elaborate road trips, to learning a new language, to going to the beach every day. Honestly, they've never been all too realistic. This summer, since I'm working full time on top of other responsibilities, like Resident Assistant work on some nights and weekends, I really want to balance out my time and make sure that I save some time for fun. A bucket list is helpful, but only if I make it realistic, or set goals and plans that I know I can stick with. Summer may be longer for college students, but along with working and preparing for the start of the new semester, it is almost a chore in itself to set aside time for summer fun. Here's a realistic summer bucket list for the average college student!

1. Volunteer.

Through college, I haven't had much time for community service, which is something I loved to do in high school. Even if it's just once or twice, I want to volunteer some of my time at the Humane Society, especially because I love dogs, and maybe a shelter, because the city where I live has a high statistic of homelessness. Find a volunteer opportunity here!

2. Go somewhere new.

At least once. I've been in Vermont for two years of college, and haven't seen much outside of the county where I live. Since it's my first summer in Vermont, I plan to visit more of the smaller, New England-type towns. Whether you can travel internationally, go to a new state, a new town, or even just a restaurant that you've never been to before, explore!

3. Become a connoisseur.

I want to catalog a ton of coffee shops in my area and turn it into a creative writing project. Combining two of my favorite things and learning more about different coffees in my area sounds like a blast to me! Pick something that you want to develop more opinions about, whether it's something silly like coffee, pizza, or ice cream, or something that requires more research like films, politics, or history. If you find something you care about, you'll have fun and won't be as bored.

4. Spend time outside.

Go outside! Get out! Enjoy the sunshine and warm weather while it lasts. I have a beautiful lake in my area and tons of mountains to hike, and I really want to take advantage of that. When you don't have a whole day to do that, at least spend some time outside in the morning, during your lunch break, or in the evening. I am going to start bringing a book out in the morning or evening, and a nice blanket to sit on in the quad. Vitamin D is good for the soul!

5. See a movie.

I'm so guilty of not wanting to pay to see a film when I could just buy it on demand for a dollar, or rent it on Netflix later. This summer I'm going to pick a new film that looks good and see it in theaters, if not for anything but the nostalgia. Treat yourself to a good movie, or make it a date night with your significant other, friend, or family member. Check out this summer's releases here. (I'm most excited for "Finding Dory!")

6. Get healthy.

During the school year, many people forget the importance of self-care. We don't sleep enough, we often have a poor diet, we don't get outside enough, and often forget to treat ourselves with kindness. I'm cooking all of my own meals this summer and want to get some good nutrition in me, as well as drink a lot of water and stay hydrated, take more walks and get fresh air, sleep a full night every night, and even do simple things like getting my hair trimmed. Make yourself feel good and confident.

7. Learn something new.

Whether you want to knit a scarf, learn to bake something delicious, or study a new language, try to keep learning over the summer! I understand that our brains are basically fried after the long year, but learning is so important, and also fun. I love to read and write and plan on developing this skill more this summer. I also want to get more into some DIY crafts for my dorm room next semester, so that I can be proud of some tangible accomplishments. Pick out just one thing, spend at least a weekend working on it, and it might develop into a new hobby!

8. Discover new music.

I'm always looking for new music, especially summer jams. Check out Spotify's weekly discover playlists, which are often catered to you specifically by the playlists you create and listen to. You can discover the perfect music for you. Google Play also has an awesome selection where you can select stations based on mood, what you're doing, or artists similar to the ones you search. Create a bomb playlist and rock out.