Summer Break Just Started And I Wish It Would Stop Already

Is it August yet?

38
Photo Via Sharon Akuokoh

Going into my third year of college, you'd think that I'd be looking forward to my summer breaks, or any breaks that I can snag a chance at getting. But the sad reality is, summer breaks now consist of working and stressing about the next semester. I'm sure not everyone feels this way, whether you're in school or not.

But for me, summer breaks are just depressing.

Most of the time, my summers have to do with making plans with people that always fall through, or not having enough time in the week to execute such plans. Many people are busy working, at an internship, or out of the country for the summer.

If you're in your hometown (and if it's boring and dry like mine), it's not a place you look forward to coming back to every break. I also sit and worry about what internships I didn't get and how I'm not gaining any experience, so that makes for a stressful vacation.

I also find in the summer months that my skin is at its worst. She just doesn't cooperate with the treatment I'm giving her and I'm always sweating, so that doesn't help too much either. It's like no matter what I do, my skin continues to disrespect me.

It's unfortunate to find yourself in this position because I really used to enjoy my summers.

I loved being home, going on little trips, and sometimes, dare I say it, I liked working at my minimum-wage job at one point. Now, I feel like I'm in this constant drought of nothingness and staring outside my window every morning.

But I cannot blame this solely on my environment. I have to share some of the blame with myself. I could have planned my summer out, I could have found better people to hang out with, I could have applied to a thousand internships and maybe gotten at least one of them. But sometimes things don't go the way you want it to, and that is okay.

Maybe I'll do better next summer, who knows.