10 Times The Book Improves The Story

10 Times You Should Have Read The Book First

Because sometimes the movie just isn't enough.

300
to all the boys I loved before

I enjoy a heart-wrenching and totally cheesy rom com as much as the next person — I would even argue more than most people, but I digress. However, I always see people freaking out over film adaptations that are yes, super cute, but are such great books that have been out for years beforehand! Usually, the movies also tend to miss out on important details and lack character depth from the novel. Luckily, all these books are easy, lighthearted reads that you can easily enjoy in your free time, but they definitely should have been read before seeing the movie adaptation.

1. "To All The Boys I've Loved Before"

This Netflix adaptation just came out, but there's a whole trilogy of books you should read before the sequels get released!

2. "Call Me by Your Name"

This film is insanely well done, but the novel uncovers future years with Elio and Oliver.

3. "Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda"

"Love, Simon" was a huge film this past year due to its LGBTQ+ positive message, but reading the book definitely provides you with a more intricate look into Simon's mind.

4. "The Secret Life of Charlie St. Cloud"

The original novel's interesting alternating perspective chapters will leave you finishing the book quicker than you ever expected.

5. "The Fault in Our Stars"

Spending more time with this tragic story will result in more tears, but I promise it'll be cathartic and rewarding.

6. "Everything, Everything"

An impossible romance turns this novel into an intense page turner.

7. "Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist"

I love Michael Cera so much, but I still think the book characters have a bit more dimension than their movie counterparts.

8. "Noami & Ely's No Kiss List" 

This book takes you all over NYC and lets you imagine you grew up in the city, too.

9. "If I Stay"

The novel gives a much more intimate look into the decision between life and death that tears Mia apart. There's also another novel, "Where She Went" that is told from Adam's perspective and explores their lives years afterwards.

10. "The Perks of Being a Wallflowe"r 

An epistolary novel crafted through Charlie's letters allows the readers to piece together the storyline in fragments.

Now some of these transformed into incredible, beautiful films, and I don't want to disregard that fact. I believe there are benefits to both seeing the adaptations and reading the book. The authors of these titles worked hard on creating a story with intricacies and nuances that aren't able to fit into the time constraints of a film. Additionally, the best part of reading is being able to imagine the characters in whatever way you find appealing. If you have a disability that doesn't allow you to read or write well, consider an audiobook (download Hoopla and support your local library). You definitely won't regret getting to know these characters in more depth, even if you've already watched the films.