Reacting to Sam Smith's 'The Thrill of it All'

Sam does not disappoint.

129
Google Images

On November 3, 2017, Sam Smith released his new album, and let me be the first to say that I am unbelievably stoked to hear more of his beautiful work. He has always been one of my favorite artists, and I just know that the first time I listen to this album is going to be a very interesting time full of many emotions and opinions. So let's do this. I am going to listen to the album for the very first time as I type my reaction to each song. Let's go!

1. Too Good At Goodbyes

Okay, so I have heard this one multiple times already. It is really good, I just know it is going to get old. It is definitely going to be the new "Stay With Me." It has a really good rhythm and the words are fantastic, though. Overall, I dig it.

2. Say It First

Okay my mind is already blown. This song has some of the most beautiful lyrics that i have ever heard in any of his songs. He definitely put all of his emotion in it. I am already feeling emotional. Good job, Sam. You know how to get us sucked in. I am so excited to hear the rest of the album.

3. One Last Song

So I might've listened to this song three times immediately after hearing it once (I did). This song is pure genius. I already know this is going to be the song that I jam out to every single day for the next couple months. It has the cutest background music and it is so much fun! it is the ultimate "move on" song and is one of those that you just want to sing out to everyone who has ever hurt you. I think I just fell in love with a song.

4. Midnight Train

I lied. This song is the ultimate "move on" song. Sam Smith has a way of making heartbreak sound beautiful. This song is also genius and addicting. It is a good song for late night drives and late night thoughts.

5. Burning

I have also heard this song a couple times before, but that does not make me love it any less. You can tell that Sam put his entire heart into this song and its truly beautiful to connect to an artist's feelings behind their music. At this point in the album, I am going to go ahead and assume that he recently went through a pretty bad breakup. All I know for sure is that his voice is perfect and I could honestly listen to it forever.

6. HIM

This is the first song I have ever heard where Sam describes his sexuality. In this song, he is talking about how he is not afraid to be different and attracted to the same gender. I like the dramatic feel to it and how he once again brought in the choir. Good call on the choir for this album, Sam.

7. Baby, You Make Me Crazy

I couldn't help but completely jam out immediately when this song started. This song is probably my favorite thus far. For some reason, I have Christmas feels. The song has nothing to do with Christmas, but it sounds like it should. When I listen to this song, I feel like I need to celebrate every small thing in life. I am looking forward to knowing every word to this song and jamming out to my heart's content as I scream the words out.

8. No Peace

Here comes the feels that I have been expecting to eventually come. This song is so beautiful and the girl singing with him is amazing. Their voices sound perfect together and it makes me want to cry for the rest of my life. I feel like this is going to be the last song that I will be sick of when listening to the album over and over again. I would honestly be content if this song was on repeat for an hour.

9. Palace

Time for more feels! I suddenly am missing people I have never met. This song is one that someone should turn to when needing a good cry. The lyrics are relatable and perfect in every way. I think we all have been in this situation and this song brings us back to it no matter how long ago it was.

10. Pray

This song describes emotions many people feel daily. He describes the different pain in the world and how sometimes it's easy to feel alone. I probably will not be singing this one much (except for the part where he sings "pray" because it's fun to sing), but it definitely completes the album.

11. Nothing Left For You

I just want to yell "sing it!" I do not know the words to this song yet, but I want to. This song is so good, I could probably jam it forever. Again, Sam is a little heartbroken. I kinda want to sit with him and ask if he's okay, but I am glad he had so much inspiration to create this album, because it is so good so far! Also, I am not gonna lie. When the choir came in, it scared me. (RIP headphone users).

12. The Thrill Of It All

Do you ever just know a song is going to break your heart in the best way from the moment the instrumental starts? That's what this song did to me. This song is definitely the song that will put you in the most feels, but it is a song that everyone needs to hear. I wish this song was a candle. I do not know how to move on after hearing it besides to listen to it about 75 more times this week. Sam, you gotta stop making me want to eat a gallon of cookie dough in a dark room.

13. Scars

Instant chills. There's something about when an artist writes a song about his parents. Sam tackles the heavy topic of divorce and the effects that it has on all of those involved. The meaning behind it is so cute and makes me feel so happy.

14. One Day At A Time

This song was probably the best way to end an album full of heartbreak and lost love. This song restores hope that love does not always hurt and that it is worth it. I love this song so much, and it has a great meaning. It is easy to be distracted by so much in this world, and sometimes we just need to sit and enjoy the moment. That's what this song is about, and I am for it completely. Looking for a unique wedding song? Sam's got you.

Overall, the album was an emotional roller coaster. But honestly, it was so well done. I loved how well done the order of the songs were. I cannot think of many things that I did not like. I am pleased that the wait for a new Sam Smith album was so worth it, and I am going to be blasting it all Fall/Winter. 10/10 would recommend the album, The Thrill Of It All.