Wanting to get puppies instead of having children is okay

Yes, I Would Rather Have Puppies Than Children

I know what I want, and what I want is to snuggle up with my new puppy.

2
Kayla Farmerhttps://unsplash.com/photos/Yx-u9ZNLsSs

No, I will definitely not change my mind in the future. No, I do not want to babysit your kids and "hopefully catch baby fever". And no, it does not make me any less of a woman to want puppies over children. These are just a few of the many different things women hear when they express disinterest in wanting to have their own children in the future. With social gender roles and norms in our society, many assume that every woman on the planet can not wait to have her own children and dedicate her life to their happiness. So as soon as any woman expresses the opposite of that social norm, she is met with confusion, ridicule, and judgment.

Let me explain. From an early age, young girls are taught to be a certain way. They are dressed in frilly clothing, gifted with baby dolls and play with kitchen toys, and are often chastised for "roughhousing" like the boys around them. This type of grooming encourages women to be polite and quiet while also training them to be "happy homemakers" in the future. Young girls are only given these options and are often rarely allowed to stray from what they have been given. Of course, there are the women who enjoy the social norm, which is perfectly acceptable, but shouldn't other lifestyles be accepted too?

Due to most men and women being groomed like this in their youth, problems and concerns arise when these women step away from the social norm. Saying things such as "I don't plan on having children", or "I don't really want to get married one day". These statements are just two examples of things women say that give everyone around them concerned thoughts and puzzled stares. But my question would be, why?

Why are there so many guidelines placed on women, especially in regards to how they are living their own private lives? Women should be free to make their own decisions when it comes to marriage, children, and most importantly, their own futures. So what if a woman does not want to settle down at a young age and pop out a handful of kids. What if she wanted to start her own local business instead and focus on paying off school debt? What if a woman does not have time for children and dating because she is busy putting herself through school or focusing on advancing in her company she's been working for?

Women have their own motives, and women have their own ambitions. Not one single individual is like another; that's why it's called being an individual. So yes, I would much rather adopt young animals that need good homes rather than focus on finding someone who wants a child. Will I change my mind in the future? There is always a possibility. But right now, I know what I want, and what I want is to snuggle up with my new puppy.