11 Weird Dog Breeds You've Never Heard Of

Dogs are arguably the best companions around (sorry cat lovers). Some of us like them even more than our own friends and neighbors. Whether you're looking for a new companion or just want to see pictures of cute dogs, you've come to the right page. Here are 11 crazy cute and fluffy dog breeds you've never heard of until now.

1. Puli

http://www.weirdworm.com/10-weirdest-dog-breeds/

The Puli is a small Hungarian dog breed known for its herding. It has a life span of 12-16 years and weighs up to 30 pounds.

2. Affenpinshcer

American Kennel Club

Known as "the monkey", this dog is characterized by its squashed face and fluffy fur. The most common color of fur for this dog is black, but silver, gray, red, tan and beige are other possible color combinations.

3. Bergamasco

American Kennel Club

Their coat may look like dreadlocks, but the Bergamasco's coat has more of a felt type feeling to it. With three different types of hair in their coat, it is easily matted and usually takes on its own unique shape throughout the dog's life.

4. Lagotto Romagnolo

101 Dog Breeds

This dog may not look strange, but the Lagotto Romagnolo was the first dog breed discovered to have the ability to search for truffles, usually an ability only pigs have. The breed has a thick, wooly coat this is considered to be hypoallergenic as well.

5. Neapolitan Mastiff

Ebay

The Neapolitan Mastiff has a very formidable appearance, so much so that it was the breed of dog chosen for "Fang" in Harry Potter. The dog has loose skin especially in the head region that creates folds and wrinkles in the face. Owners must be wary though, as the dogs require extra cleaning between the wrinkles in order to prevent infection.

6. Catahoula Leopard Dog

Pet Time

Originally from Louisiana, this dog breed lives 13-16 years and has a driven, energetic spirit. This breed is known for hunting wild hogs and feral cows and is similar to Australian Cattle Dogs.

7. Bedlington Terrier

Pet Guide

This dog breed is known for looking similar to a lamb. Once bred as a fighting dog, this breed has quite nearly the opposite countenance- with a friendly and docile nature. The breed has a pear shaped head and triangular shaped ears.

8. LowChen

Next Day pets

A companion dog whose name is German for "little lion", the LowChen is a hypoallergenic, toy dog. With a happy, friendly and energetic spirit, this dog makes for a great family pet.

9. Griffon Bruxellois

Pet Paw

The Brussels Griffon is a spunky toy dog breed that originated in Brussels. The breed is known for being independent and having an inquisitive nature, as well as being a good watchdog.

10. Irish Wolfhound

Dog Time

One of the tallest breeds in the world, this dog is massive in size. The Wolfhound was originally used in war to drag men off horses and chariots. A sweet and sensitive dog, the breed has a very gentle nature and is a great companion.

11. Borzoi

AKC

Last but not last, the Borzoi. This sight hound can weigh up to 105 pounds when fully grown and is similar in shape to a Greyhound. The aristocratic looking dog is also known as the "Russian Wolfhound" based on its historical significance in Russia.