20 Quotes To Help You Remember What We Are Fighting For

"Vermonters often ask me whether I am pessimistic about the future of our country. My honest answer is that I am not." -Bernie Sanders

61
The Daily Dispatch

As a young person involved in politics, I know it is easy to get caught up in negative emotion when there is so much on the line this election. I have come to realize that in the process of fighting for democracy, many of us have become trivial and childish. It is time to reevaluate. It is time for us, as a movement, to remember the gravity of the situation. Most of all, it is important for us to remember why we began this revolution. It isn't about name-calling. It isn't about blaming Bernie for "selling out" to the system. It is about bringing love, equality and peace into this country. This movement is about upholding the values and principles of the Vermont senator we know and love. Here are 20 inspirational quotes that will help you remember what our political revolution is all about— grass roots action, change, support, and togetherness:

1. "Let us wage a moral and political war against war itself, so that we can cut military spending and use that money for human needs." -Bernie Sanders

2. "Infuse your life with action. Don't wait for it to happen. Make it happen. Make your own future. Make your own hope. Make your own love. And whatever your beliefs, honor your creator, not by passively waiting for grace to come down from upon high, but by doing what you can to make grace happen... yourself, right now, right down here on Earth." -Bradley Whitford

3. "The demand for equal rights in every vocation of life is just and fair; but, after all, the most vital right is the right to love and be loved." -Emma Goldman

4. "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

5. "I want to be able to talk about changing the world through your actions and being a generation that is aware and a force to be reckoned with— and at the same time be dancing." -Taylor Hanson

6. "Difficult times often bring out the best in people." -Bernie Sanders

7. "For many, the American dream has become a nightmare." -Bernie Sanders

8. "Social media are a catalyst for the advancement of everyone's rights. It's where we're reminded that we're all human and all equal. It's where people can find and fight for a cause, global or local, popular or specialized, even when there are hundreds of miles between them." -Queen Rania of Jordan

9. "Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." -Arthur Ashe

10. "If we cannot now end our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity." -John F. Kennedy

11. "We will never have true civilization until we have learned to recognize the rights of others." -Will Rogers

12. "Here are the values that I stand for: honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values." -Ellen DeGeneres

13. "I speak not for myself but for those without voice... those who have fought for their rights... their right to live in peace, their right to be treated with dignity, their right to equality of opportunity, their right to be educated." -Malala Yousafzai

14. "I see a future where getting to work or to school or to the store does not have to cause pollution." -Bernie Sanders

15. "In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can." -Nikos Kazantzakis

16. "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." -Malcolm X

17. "I think the overwhelming majority of the American people know that we have got to stand together, that we're going to grow together, that we're going to survive together, and that if we start splintering, we're not going to succeed in a highly competitive international economy." -Bernie Sanders

18. "There should be no discrimination against languages people speak, skin color, or religion." -Malala Yousafzai

19. "Vermonters often ask me whether I am pessimistic about the future of our country. My honest answer is that I am not." -Bernie Sanders

20. "Finally, let us understand that when we stand together, we will always win. When men and women stand together for justice, we win. When black, white and Hispanic people stand together for justice, we win." -Bernie Sanders