The Best Answers To 5 Questions Vegans Always Hear

And no, it isn't just a phase.

165

As someone who eats a Vegan/Plant-Based Diet, I hear the same types of questions from many different people. This usually stems out of judgement or ignorance about the diet in general. Instead of being angered by these questions, I have realized that informing someone in a calm manner, without any judgement of my own, is the best route. It is everyone's personal choice what they eat, but if someone asks me a question, I will answer them to show how I maintain this way of eating.

So here are the top five most asked questions, and how I typically answer them, for those looking to change their eating habits, or those who are simply curious about Plant-Based and Vegan nutrition:

1. “Do you get enough protein?/Where do you get your protein from?”

Probably the most popular answer: many people that consume animal products think it is the only means of protein. This was simply the way they were raised, so getting upset and spitting out, "YES," is not how I try to answer someone. Instead, I say that every vegetable has protein, even if it's the smallest amount.

Although, there are plant sources that are high in protein, such as hemp seeds, lentils, beans, nuts, spirulina, tempeh, quinoa, flax seeds, oats, nutritional yeast, pumpkin seeds, peas, tofu, spinach, soymilk, kale, and more.

2. “Do you ever miss meat or dairy?”

I have not eaten meat in over two years, so my taste buds have changed significantly and grown accustomed to what I eat. If I haven't eaten something for years, my body does not crave it, because it is not used to desiring that taste anymore.

Having a healthy, happy body can be achieved eating the right kinds of foods on a Plant-Based Diet, and I try to limit processed and junk foods.

3. “Is this just a phase?”

Many people see the will power that being a Vegan takes. Eating out, finding foods at a grocery store, always checking the ingredients. They think it looks exhausting, limiting, but this is where I tell them how amazing this decision has been for me, and how I do not plan on going back any time soon.

Having will power is admirable, and all of these "struggles" become easy, second nature things after a certain amount of time. Knowing what exactly goes into my body is important to me.

4. “Do you get enough Calcium and vitamins?”

This comes from the same roots of people thinking that only certain nutritional value can come from animal products, but plant-based foods and vitamin supplements are also a valid way to gain these same nutrients.

For example, dark leafy greens, such as rocket, bok choy, turnip greens, collard greens, and kale are all high in calcium. Plant-based milks, like almond milk, tend to have more calcium than regular dairy milk as well.

As for vitamins, eating a balanced whole foods diet (no processed foods or sugars), allows me to achieve consuming foods with a good deal of vitamins, although it is wise to take something else as well. I take a multivitamin and mineral supplement daily (which helps when I enjoy the occasional not-as-nutritional Vegan treat).

5. “Can you eat ____?”

When I first began eating this way, this question would bother me, but I soon came to realize that a lot of people really do not know what is in their food. Now, I just answer with a simple "Yes" or "No," and tell them what is in it that I can or cannot have.

If someone offers me I food that I cannot eat, I just politely decline. Being knowledgeable about ingredients in foods is a cool skill to develop in this lifestyle, but different ways of eating are not familiar to everyone, so expecting everyone to know is not realistic.

In the end, informing one another about our lifestyles is the best way to avoid any further ignorance. I always have to ask my family members about their Keto Diet, or my one friend about eating Kosher. Food is a huge part of our lives, it is how we survive and how we socialize, so sharing our experiences and relationships with food will help others have a better understanding, so no one has to pass judgement on one another.

I love my chosen way of eating. It makes me feel better physically and ethically, but it is also different from most people, so while these questions can get repetitive, I enjoy being able to inform people about my lifestyle.