Questions Artists Are Tired Of Hearing

Questions Artists Are Tired Of Hearing

Struggles of an artist who isn't an art major

36
Questions Artists Are Tired Of Hearing
wallpapers wide

Art has always been something that I am good at. It's one of my only talents. I enjoy art thoroughly, and it is both a blessing and a burden -- a blessing, in that if I'm responsible for something crafty, I can just whip up a quick piece and be satisfied. But the burden that comes with art, aside from perfectionism, and all those hours that are put in to creating a "perfect" masterpiece, are the questions that I get asked, from time to time.

"Why don't you go to (insert name of a popular art school)?"

While I do love art, I would hate to create it for a living. I took AP Studio Art in high school, and while it was cool to get the opportunity to create a concentration of my own, the class was too fast-paced and tedious for me to handle. Paints and pastels are fun, but they're too messy and too much maintenance; meanwhile, pencils and charcoal (my favorite choice of media) are too expensive to keep replacing. Art is a hobby to me, and nothing but that.

"Can you 'help me' with my art homework?"

In other words, "can you do my entire assignment for me?"

Don't get me wrong, I probably will do it. But why on earth are you asking if I'll help you, if we both know that you won't be contributing? Better yet, why don't you just continue to critique me as I draw your assignment?

"You drew that?"

No, actually I have this cute little elf that fits in my pocket, bra or sleeve, and he comes out to draw for me when I need him and -

OK, in all seriousness -- yes, it was me. But, honestly, if you see me drawing something, or if I'm showing you something in a solid form that I'm clearly proud of and excited about, shouldn't it just be evident that I made it? I mean, where's the satisfaction in showing off something totally awesome if it's not even your own?

"Can you teach me how to draw?"

I'd love to -- if I knew how. It's not that simple. For me, personally, drawing has always came naturally. Of course, years of art classes played a huge part in my still-growing talent (shout out to Mrs. Romeo!) but I've been pretty decent at drawing ever since I could hold a pencil.

"How do you do that?"

It's like I just said. Art comes totally natural, and I really wish I could explain it.

"Draw me."

"Draw me" is never simply said as a question. People rarely ask me to draw them, but when they do, it's more of a demand. Like, I understand, it's probably cool to see what you look like from another person's perspective. Or maybe it's some drive by your own ego, telling you that you absolutely need a self-portrait But you still need to relax.

Do you want to be an artist?"

I never know how to answer this one. While the professional artists, art museums, and art school graduates are the face of art in the grand scheme of things, I don't believe that those people are the only artists out there! In my eyes, anybody who creates anything is an artist: animators, writers, chefs, those people who are kind of bad at drawing but do it anyway -- you name it. It's like Chef Gusteau says in "Ratatouille," "Anyone can cook." But in this case, it's more like "anyone can 'art.'" I know that doesn't make sense, but I'm sure you catch my drift.