7 Reasons Selena Will Always Be A Queen

7 Reasons Selena Will Always Be A Queen

Her Music. Enough Said.

85
https://www.flickr.com/photos/72032843@N00/9123955768/
Jesús (Isáác) "Çhüy" Cerecer Hernández

If you haven't heard of Selena first of all who are you? And where have you been? She has been a literal icon since the beginning of her debut and still is even after her passing-- people continually (myself included) think of the potential that she had to make it great, to continue growing and making incredible music if she was not murdered.

Even though she has passed, she will forever and always be known as an icon, in her talent and so many other aspects that led to everyone, not just Latinos, to fall in love with her.

1. Her music. Enough said.

Bidi Bidi Bom Bom. Dreaming of You. Como la Flor. No Me Queda Mas. All of these songs-- the lyrics, the beat and Selena's voice all together make all of her songs so amazing and unbelievable. And it's all so unique-- nothing to what was going on in that genre and pop in general. Even if produced today, it is extremely different but not in a bad way! Through her music, she has also inspired other musicians such as Demi Lovato, JLO, Selena Gomez and others!

2. She was a fashion icon.

Have we all seen what she wore to the Grammy's? Her outfit? Her hair? Her lipstick? Truly an icon, literally no one can change my mind. And all her performance outfits? Her music video outfits. Literally so casual and not showy but so classy and iconic at the same time!

3. Her stage presence was nothing to what artists have today.

Literally no one can match her stage presence. She gave it her all to all her performances with her killer vocals, sassy but cute attitude, and her occasional dance move. She didn't need any fireworks or special effects like many artists today do, but she with just herself and the Dinos (her band) singing and dancing and jovially interacting with the crowd.

4. She inspired so many Latin Americans, especially in the U.S.

She was chicana, from Cherokee background and was not entirely fluent in Spanish. But because of this and her incredible talent is what made her famous and such and inspiration. She literally had to take Spanish phonic lessons from her dad in order for her to have properly pronunciation in her songs and her interviews. She also paved the way for Spanish music making it's way to the US; only really after her were Spanish singers really becoming a relevance in the US.

5. She's literally known as the "Mexican Madonna."

Again, based on her stage presence and talent! As well as this nickname she is also referred to as the "Queen of Tejano Music". Millions mourned her death and everyone can agree that her death was a huge loss to not only the music industry but everyone. If she were still alive today she would be an unmatched legend.

6. She dominated in a music genre predominantly owned by men.

Tejano music is a Spanish-speaking, male-dominated genre that many thought that Selena would not be successful in. But since her debut she has been coined as the "Queen of Tejano music" when many thought that she was wasting her time. Going off of this, she also did not conform to societal pressures of sexualizing her body and music and instead was viewed as flirty, outgoing and warm-- both in music and her own characteristics.

7. Her personality and humble background.

Like other artists, the road to becoming a star is a hard one. From when she was little, she was already performing in small venues just to get her voice heard. Once she finished pursuing an education, she and her family continue to perform at small venues just to make ends meet, in the hopes to spread her musical talent. From her interviews and personal videos, you can also tell that she wasn't raised to be trashy. She portrayed herself as classy, humble, kind and incredibly interactive with her audience. Even by the mass increase of her fame, she continued to be the same Selena that used to perform at small diners.

Selena will forever be an icon and continue to inspire young and old generations. People still continue to listen to her music and fangirl over it. And although she is no longer with us, her music is something that we still enjoy and love. And we are also so very glad that she has finally got her star after so many years of unnecessary waiting.