91 Facts & Photos Of Queen Elizabeth II On Her 91st Birthday

All hail the Queen.

667
Wikipedia

According to Oxford Dictionaries, an Anglophile is "a person who is fond of or greatly admires England or Britain." Anyone who knows me, knows I am a huge Anglophile. In honor of Queen Elizabeth II, I have decided to list 91 facts and photos for her 91st birthday.

1. Queen Elizabeth II was born on April 21, 1926.

2. Her full name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Mountbatten-Windsor.

3.

From left to right: At the time, the Duke of York, Princess Elizabeth, the Duchess of York, and Princess Margaret.

4. She was born to the Duke and Duchess of York, who became King Henry VI and Queen Elizabeth.

5. Queen Elizabeth II was the first to be christened in the Buckingham Palace chapel and wore a dress worn by Queen Elizabeth I. *

6.

Then Princess Elizabeth with family.

7. She was born into the House of Windsor.

8. She is a direct descendant of Queen Victoria.

9.

Elizabeth and her sister Margaret.

10. She was originally third in line to the throne.

11. Queen Elizabeth II was educated from home with her sister, Princess Margaret. **

12.

Queen Elizabeth II waving from her carriage.

13. She was a Girl Guide, or Girl Scout, when she was younger and became a Sea Ranger. **

14. In 1944, she was made part of the Privy Council and the Council of State, which enabled her to act for her father, King Henry VI, in his absence. *

15.

Young Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip.

16. Elizabeth met Prince Phillip in 1934, he is a distant cousin. ++

17. Queen Elizabeth II and her sister moved into Windsor Castle during World War II to stay safe. **+

18.

Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Anne.

19. Her and her sister put on shows during World War II.

20. During WWII, she joined the British army as part of the women's branch, the Auxiliary Territorial Service. +

21.

Queen Elizabeth II in her uniform.

22. She was a mechanic and truck driver in the ATS. **+

23. She married Prince Phillip in 1947.

24.

Elizabeth, in her uniform, with the trucks and equipment.

25. She used ration coupons she had saved up to buy her dress.

26. Norman Hartnell designed her wedding and coronation gowns. ++

27.

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip getting married.

28. Her and Prince Phillip have four children: Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, and Prince Edward.

29. Due to her father's illness, she and Prince Phillip went on the Commonwealth tour in 1952. **

30.

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip with their four children.

31. She did not take Phillip's last name, Mountbatten, after getting married; she kept it Windsor

32. In 1960, she changed her last name officially to Mountbatten-Windsor.

33.

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip.

34. She learned of her father's death while on the Commonwealth tour in Kenya, she was then Queen. **

35.She became Queen on February 6, 1952, but her coronation wasn't until over year later.

36.

Queen Elizabeth II.

37. Her coronation was on June 2, 1953, in Westminster Abbey.

38. Despite the rain, crowds lined the streets to see the coronation procession.**

39.

Queen Elizabeth II.

40. The coronation was the first to be televised. ++

41. Hundreds of thousands, from around the world, watched the coronation. **

42.

Young Queen Elizabeth II.

43. Her official title is Elizabeth II, By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island, and of her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith. *

44. She is the Queen of England, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and the rest of the countries in the Commonwealth.

45.

Queen Elizabeth II.

46. She became Queen when she was 25.

47. She must stay neutral in politics and cannot vote in elections. **

48.

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip in Parliament.

49. Her duties include opening each new session of Parliament, granting Royal Assent to legislation, and approving Orders and Proclamations through the Privy Council. **

50. She meets every week with the Prime Minister.

51.

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip in church.

52. Queen Elizabeth II is the head of religion. She is the head of the Church of England. +++

53. She speaks fluent French. +

54.

Queen Elizabeth II giving a speech.

55. The Queen is not required to have a driver's license to drive or a passport to travel. +++

56. She does not have to pay taxes but does anyway. +++

57.

Queen Elizabeth II working with students.

58. She is linked to over 600 charities. **

59. She is involved in hundreds of organizations, giving to over 40 animal-related organizations and over 90 medical and health-care charities. ++

60.

Queen Elizabeth II with her four dogs in 2016.

61. Her first corgi, Susan, was a gift for her 18th birthday.

62. She has had over 30 corgis since Susan.

63.

Queen Elizabeth II riding horseback.

64. Queen Elizabeth II currently has one corgi, Willow, and two dorgis (dachshund-corgi mix), Candy and Vulcan.

65. She owns and breeds thoroughbred horses. **

66.

Queen Elizabeth II enjoying the horses.

67. She enjoys horse races and regularly attends the Derby at Epsom and the Summer Race Meeting at Ascot. ++

68. Queen Elizabeth's horse, Estimate, won the Royal Ascot signature race in 2013. *

69.

Queen Elizabeth II.

70. Kensington Palace was her childhood home. **

71. Windsor Castle is used as her private home. **

72.

Queen Elizabeth II.

73. Buckingham Palace is the Queen's official residence. It is used for business, as well as receptions, charities, and celebrations. **

74. She spends Christmas at Sandringham, in Norwalk, with her family. **

75.

Queen Elizabeth II with her great grandchildren and a couple of her grandchildren.

76. She has eight grandchildren, including the well-known Prince William and Prince Harry, and five great grandchildren.

77. She is interested in Scottish country dancing and holds dances for the locals each year during her stay at Balmoral Castle. **

78.

Queen Elizabeth II greeting some children in a crowd.

79. The Queen receives, on average, around 60,000 pieces of correspondence a year. **

80. She refers to 1992 as "Annus Horribilis," because of the estrangement of Prince Charles and Princess Diana, the separation of Prince Andrew and wife Sarah, the divorce of Princess Anne and husband Mark, and the fire in Windsor Castle. *

81.

The Queen smiling at a baby swan.

82. She technically owns all of the swans in England, which are counted in an annual event called "Swan Upping." +++

83. The Queen celebrates her birthday twice: April 21 and in June for weather purposes. **

84.

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip.

85. Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip were the first in the Royal Family to celebrate their Diamond Wedding Anniversary, 60 years. **

86. She and Phillip have now been married for 70 years.

87.

Queen Elizabeth II.

88. In 2002, she celebrated her Golden Jubilee, 50th anniversary on the throne.

89. In 2012, she ended her Diamond Jubilee, 60th anniversary on the throne, by attending a cabinet meeting on Downing St.. This was the first time a British monarch had attended such a meeting in a century. *

90.

Queen Elizabeth II.

91. Queen Elizabeth II is longest reigning monarch in British history, currently at 65 years!

References:

* CNN

** Royal

*** History Extra

+ Time

++ USA Today

+++ Business Insider

*+ Vanity Fair

**+ War History