Quarantined Disillusionment

Quarantined Disillusionment

How our current quarantined circumstances have forced our lives to be lived through technology and how that can lead to technological disillusionment

20
Quarantined Disillusionment

When we have free will over how we live our lives, it's easy to find a welcomed distraction in technology. With current stay at home orders–resulting from the fast spread of the Covid-19 virus–everyone is forced to spend much more time in front of technology than ever before. The constant use of technology has the potential to cause major disillusionment of this phenomenon that has voluntarily consumed the minds of many since its birth.

Whether you're a college student attending 'Zoom university' or working a full-time job, the only way to keep up with obligations is to communicate through technology. While, yes, the use of technology is no stranger to college or professional life, it is being used now more than ever; there seems to be no break. Many people find relaxation in technology after a long day of work–watching videos, television, or playing video games. Now that most of the day is spent in front of a computer screen, many people may not find the same relaxation in technology consumption as they used to. Is this a bad thing? In my opinion, not at all. If anything–the opposite!

If we become disillusioned with technology–in some regard– because of our circumstances, people will be forced to express themselves in ways they might not have considered when technology was a much more welcomed distraction. Now is the time to try your hand at art, fill the empty journal you bought years ago, get more involved in working out, and taking care of your health; the options are truly endless.

In addition to developing technology-detached hobbies, this confinement may steer society away from selfish mindsets and can overall enrich our human experience. When we cannot go out and see our friends when we want, ask a professor a question in person, or work hands-on with people– it's missed and appreciated. Actions that seemed to be a given are now something confinement craves; developing a deeper appreciation for human encounters we took for granted.

The disillusionment of technology you may be encountering doesn't have to be a scary thing. Try to welcome this change of pace and productively adapt to the circumstances you have no choice but to endure.