Quarantine Baking: No Flour? No Problem

Quarantine Baking: No Flour? No Problem

How to make some decent cookies when you don't have access to ingredients.

15
Quarantine Baking: No Flour? No Problem

For the past ten days, my roommates and I have found ourselves quarantined in our apartment. Bored out of our minds, we decided to make some cookies to pass the time. Although it seemed like a good idea at the time, we soon realized we lacked the basic ingredients of flour, brown sugar, butter, and eggs.

Even though we could not leave the apartment, we were still desperate for something sweet. We searched the internet to find a recipe that would accommodate our short supply of food. Every recipe we encountered had at least one thing that we didn't have. As a last resort, we even turned to VEGAN cookies. Although, the ingredients didn't match ours exactly on the recipe we found, we decided to experiment anyway.

To compare, here is the recipe we loosely based our cookies on: Vegan Cookie Recipe

And here's what we came up with:

1/2 cup Peanut Butter

3/4 cup Rolled Oats

3/4 cup Flour(made from oats)

1/3 cup Maple Syrup

1/3 cup Chocolate Chips

2 Tablespoons Almond Milk

1 Teaspoon Baking Soda

And a couple of grinds from the salt grinder

To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and get to work. The original recipe called for flour and there was no getting around it, so we made our own oat flour by putting oats in our smoothie blender and turning it on for a couple seconds. You can also interchange the milk with whatever you have (ex. dairy milk, almond milk, soy milk, Lactaid? Idk, etc...). After you have found all of your ingredients, get a big bowl and put everything but the chocolate chips in it.

After mixing with a rubber scraper until everything's the same consistency, you can add chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, coconut flakes, or whatever your heart desires into the mix.

Then on a baking sheet, form twelve even balls of cookie dough and evenly place them on the sheet. From my experience, they won't flatten out on their own, so take a spoon and gently press each one into that desired cookie shape (although if you're going for cookie balls that's cool too). Then pop those things in the oven for 9-10 minutes, and you will have a pretty decent cookie!