Becoming My Best Self Through Pure Barre

I started telling myself you are perfect.

218
Alexa Peavey

My entire life I have struggled with loving my body and how I look. I have an extremely bad self image of myself that I just have never seemed to be able to fix- until this summer.

This summer I bought a summer package deal at Pure Barre, a popular exercising studio. Pure Barre is a forty-five to fifty minute class of a complete total body workout. It consists of low impact and isometric movements that are guaranteed to have results. You use light weights, a ball, a tube, and a ballet barre for your workout.

Before my first class, I researched what I should expect during it. Quite honestly, I was scared of going. I read comments that said, "It's so hard you'll feel embarrassed." "People that go to Pure Barre judge you." I honestly did not know what to expect. I just knew one thing, if I felt judged and it made me feel worse about myself- I would not go back. As crazy as that might sound that's just how awful of a self image I had.

My first day at the barre came around. I walked in nervous. I grabbed my sticky socks (required for the class), placed my purse and phone in my locker, and walked into the studio. I was greeted by women that were regulars at the studio and I thought okay so no judgement zone here. Most people that judge you will not say hello. This made me have a good impression already, which is what I needed to be assured.

It was 10:30 am on the dot and it was time to begin my first barre class.

The class started with a warm up then continues to thigh, seat, and core work. The entire time I was in class I was thinking this is so hard, but I know I want to see results. I pushed myself. I didn't get upset when my instructor would repositon me. I instead took it as, they want me to have my best form and results.

After the class I could not walk from being sore already and I looked like I had just went swimming in a pool. That just showed me that Pure Barre really does work.

The entire summer I consistently went to Pure Barre probably three to five times a week. Each class I could notice a difference in my appearance and strength. Even my instructors noticed, which made me feel good about myself. What I learned from going to Pure Barre is you're beautiful the way you are, as cliche as it sounds, but if you want to feel even more confident- attend an exercising class that makes you feel this way. The goal of Pure Barre isn't to make you lose crazy amounts of weight. The goal in my opinion is to become your best self.

My attitude towards my appearance started changing after each barre class. I would go to the mall and try-on clothes I never thought I could wear or would feel comfortable wearing. I quit crying in the dressing room when the jeans I wanted didn't fit because my thighs were too thick. I stopped looking at my scale and saying you need to be a certain number. I quit looking in the mirror and analyzing my body. Instead, I started loving the way I looked. I started realizing that not every clothing item is made for my body type, so find something that is. I started focusing on the results I was seeing. I started telling myself you are perfect. I gained all of this confidence and realization from simply attending Pure Barre.

Thank you Pure Barre for allowing me to become my best self.