Pure Barre Completely Changed My Outlook On Exercise

Bored by traditional workouts, I tried Pure Barre and never looked back.

419
Courtney Decker

If I’m being completely honest, I don’t usually enjoy exercise. When I was younger, I didn’t mind running, but that all changed one hot day in eighth grade when we had to run “the mile” in P.E. after lunch. (*shudders*) Ever since then, I have tried to avoid running as much as possible, instead opting for other forms of exercise, such as fast-paced walking, spin classes, the elliptical and strength/weight training. However, the monotony of these workouts often left me incredibly bored, and I found that exercising felt more like a chore than something I looked forward to.

That all changed last summer after I attended my first Pure Barre class.

One of my best friends, Crystal, and I decided to try a class after seeing ads on social media for a free week of classes. Since I didn’t really know a lot about Pure Barre at the time, I did some research before my first class. I discovered that Pure Barre is a low-impact, full-body workout that targets your arms, legs, seat, abs and core. Focusing on small, isometric movements, the Pure Barre Classic class consists of a warm-up (including light weight work), a thigh section, a seat section, an ab/core section and a cool-down. The client reviews were stellar, some even calling Pure Barre “an addiction.” Despite having all this information in my head, I still wasn’t entirely sure what to expect when I walked into the studio and put on my sticky socks for the first time.

Fifty-five minutes later, I understood the addiction. The class was unlike anything I had ever experienced. It was insanely challenging, but somehow really fun at the same time. A fitness oxymoron, if you will. Pure Barre’s motto, “Lift. Tone. Burn,” was no joke. The class pushed me to the point that sweat dripped down my face and my body literally shook. My heart raced from the moment class began to the well-deserved cool-down and stretch at the end. While this may sound miserable (it certainly would to me), something about Pure Barre had me hooked.

Maybe it was the fun, loud music pumping through the studio... Or maybe it was the positive vibes in the studio, fueled by the instructor’s encouragement and the other students’ determination… Or perhaps it was the fact that the challenging class required so much focus and perseverance that my mind couldn’t wander to anything else…

I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, so I attributed my newfound addiction to a combination of those three characteristics. That, and the fact that I felt like an absolute warrior when the class was over. It had kicked my “seat,” but I fought through each change and “final ten.” I was ecstatic to find a form of exercise that I was excited about and looked forward to doing again, but I was also proud of myself for doing something that pushed me out of my comfort zone.

Fast-forward nearly a year later, and the Pure Barre addiction is alive and well. I try to go to Pure Barre Classic classes almost every day, mixing in a few Pure Empower classes when I can. (My 2018 summer bucket list includes "doubling up," which is taking a traditional Classic class and a cardio-centric Empower class in the same day.) I even got my mom hooked on Pure Barre, and we often go to classes together. I literally missed the deadline for this article because I went to a class. Each class is a little bit different, depending on the instructor and the playlist, so Pure Barre keeps me on my toes (in some cases, quite literally), and I never get bored. I can feel myself getting stronger during each class, and I have seen amazing changes in my strength, flexibility and endurance. Through Pure Barre, I’ve found a workout that keeps my interest long enough to actually produce results, as well as a supportive, encouraging community that keeps me coming back class after class. Shout out to the PBG crew - y’all are the best!!

Whether you are an exercise lover or an exercise hater, I strongly encourage you to give Pure Barre a try. You’ll get a killer workout that enables you to strengthen both your body and your mind. You’ll also gain an amazing community of friends and instructors that push you to be your best self. So what are you waiting for? Grab your sticky socks, and LTB (“Lift. Tone. Burn.”) at a Pure Barre near you!