Pumpkin Lovers Rejoice, I Have Great News

And Some Healthy Recipes

10

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Time to grab those hoodies and start taking a stroll to see the beautiful fall foliage. The air turns crisper and there is a hint of… could it be? Pumpkin! The mightiest of all vegetables. It has the ability to make girl’s knees weak and you can’t tell me you don’t get a little bit of nostalgia when you smell your grandma’s homemade pumpkin pie whirl around the room. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin beer, pumpkin coffee, pumpkin donuts, the list is endless. It’s clear to see that pumpkin takes the cake, or pie, as the flavor of fall. While pumpkin treats themselves may not be the healthiest, pumpkin is one of the healthier seasonal foods. Below are five reasons why it is okay to be obsessed with this amazingly delicious vegetable.

Help You Shed Unwanted Weight

Per cup of mashed pumpkin, there are only 50 calories and 3 g of dietary fiber. Fiber is split into two different categories, soluble and insoluble, both of which are needed to have a healthy system. The fiber in pumpkin provided volume and takes longer to digest then say, a candy bar, making you feel fuller longer.

Pumpkin Helps After Pumping Iron

After an intense workout, your body needs potassium to avoid those unwanted leg cramps or muscle spasms. The first food someone would reach for to get their potassium would be a banana, wrong! Bananas only contain 420mg of potassium whereas a cup of cooked pumpkin contains 560mg. So next time you leave the gym after impressive everyone with your muscles, refuel with some pumpkin or get ready to be in a world of discomfort.

It Can Protect that Package

That’s right men, it’s time to get your pumpkin on. Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of zinc, containing between 7-8mg, the daily intake should be about 40mg. Zinc is important for men, especially as they begin to increase in age. Zinc levels in the body begin to decline and this decline can lead to impotency and prostate enlargement. Zinc is one of the highest minerals on the list to increase performance and keep your little swimmers going strong.

Need a Mood Booster?

Everyone knows that turkey contains tryptophan, the amino acid that causes that after thanksgiving feeling of wanting to sleep for the next week. Pumpkin seeds also contain this nap boosting micronutrient. Tryptophan is converted to serotonin and melatonin via nutrient metabolism. Serotonin is one of the key chemicals in the brain that regulates your mood, promoting calmness, relaxation, and sleepiness. Melatonin is also a chemical in the body that helps your body drift off to dreamland. So if you are every feeling depressed, grab a handful of pumpkin seeds.

Boosts immune system

With the weather changing, almost everyone falls victim to the dreaded cold and flu season. Combat them with pumpkin, it is bursting with vitamin C, an essential nutrient to stay healthy. Containing 11mg per cup, it is 20% of your daily recommended value. Stock up on pumpkin and you will be able to fight off the fall illnesses.

I know you are all eager to start stuffing your faces with pumpkin, especially the guys, but the real question is how to do that efficiently. Unfortunately eating a whole pumpkin pie or ordering a pumpkin spice latte is not going to cut it. Below are two easy recipes with only a few ingredients that will give you that pumpkin fix you need without all the calories that you don’t.

Pumpkin Angel Food Cake

Vegan, paleo, dairy free

Servings: 16

Calories per serving: 126

Ingredients:

1 (16oz) package of Angel Food Cake

16 oz pumpkin puree

2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin spice

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Mix all of the ingredients together until combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake according to package directions. (mine was about 35 minutes)
Cool completely.Cut into squares and serve with fat free whipped cream (optional)

Pumpkin Ice Cream

Paleo, Vegan, dairy free, clean eating

Servings: 6

Calories: 162

Ingredients:

4 medium bananas, sliced and frozen overnight

1 cup pumpkin puree

1/3 cup maple syrup

1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin spice (more or less to taste)

Directions:

Remove the bananas from the freezer and place all ingredients into the food processor. Pulse until it is all blended and then place in glass container

Place in the freezer overnight

Ice cream may be hard when first taken out, so let sit for 30 minutes before indulging