PTSD Sufferers Aren't Only War Veterans

PTSD Sufferers Aren't Only War Veterans

12
PTSD Sufferers Aren't Only War Veterans

"Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)-a serious condition that can develop after a person has experienced or witnessed a traumatic or terrifying event in which serious physical harm occurred or was threatened."

So PTSD. What comes to your mind when you think of this acronym? Does it sound like a scary and intimidating acronym? Do you typically associate this disorder strictly in times of war? Furthermore, have you ever considered its' existence beyond the war boundaries?

Having been brought up between the period of WWI and, incredibly prominent, the Vietnam War, PTSD has been a common disorder affecting combat soldiers. But in reality, it affects all sorts of people. Especially in times of traumatic and earth-shattering events.

Now have you ever experienced a specific traumatic event? Is it a family death? Rape or other forms of sexual assault? Divorce? Drug abuse? Job stress? What about mental or emotional abuse and neglect? Or how about a toxic relationship? Does it affect your mind and cause you to behave negatively and abusive towards everyone you meet? Do you have constant flashbacks of bad memories hitting you at the most random times and places? Do you tend to lean towards substances, such as alcohol, to numb the physical or emotional pain you are feeling?

In our lives, we are faced with numerous life changes, turning points, and altering events that shake us up for both the good and the bad. Whether you utilize God, or whichever religion, in your life, we are defined by the past experiences, ideals, backgrounds, and routines adapted into our lives. What we tend to forget is sometimes, matter of fact actually, the past has its way of creeping in on us. Sometimes we feel and experience anger, guilt, regret, sadness, or just lack of helplessness. And sometimes, we experience the common symptoms of PTSD such as nervousness, hypertension, shock, anxiety, anticipation, or the fear of being trampled upon from behind.

These days, mental health has been disregarded as an "incompetent mind state." In reality, this disregard should be highly focused, and paid attention, upon. Furthermore, most think that PTSD doesn't exist. Bullshit. Regardless of race, gender, color, and creed, PTSD has no discrimination. Think about your life and how you got here. Your life matters. Make it worth it.

"And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you." Joel 2:25