5 Best Tips For the Ultimate Procrastinator

As someone with ADHD, I find myself getting distracted a lot or generally just finding something more interesting to do especially if the activity is school-related. My To-Do list gets done eventually but usually it's takes a lot longer than normal simply because I let other things get pushed tot he foreground. I know my mom hates it when I say "I'll do it later" and I will get it done but usually that later is a lot longer than she would prefer. We've all seen those memes about procrastination and you're like "same" or "that's so accurate" and it's funny but it also might say something about your current lifestyle that you might need to change a bit.

When it comes to procrastinating it can usually be broken down into a couple of reasons but the main two are you feel it's very complicated or you can't find any motivation because it's boring. Our brain works on a reward system so when there isn't a clear reward or it's low we can lack the focus and motivation to complete the task. Some people might see this as a flaw but it's perfectly normal for people to put off activities. I know I'll be super productive in some areas but in others it gets put off so much even though I know I should get it done right away or I'll just keep putting it off *Laundry*. No one is perfect so taking a break or pushing something back occasionally is okay but when it starts to be some a habit for any activity you might find yourself in need of a kick in the pants to find that perfect balance between productivity and inactivity. So without further ado here are 5 tips for the ultimate procrastinator.

Choose a Day

Pick a day where you know you have the most free time and plan to achieve your goal that day. This saitisfys both parts of my brain. I can feel okay about putting it off but I also have a set date for when I'm going to complete my goal. This day is usually when I have some free time so Tuesdays, Thursday's and Sunday's. Saturday is out because that's my chill day Tuesday and Thursday I'm done with class early so I have a lot of time and Sunday I just tell myself that's going to be my productive day since it's right before the week starts back up again.

Do it Right Away

I know this sounds like a lot of extra effort but it really helps. If I say I'll do something but don't do it at that moment I decide to do it at that moment it will be a while before I get it done. For me laundry is something I procrastinate on the most. I'm not talking about doing my clothes but more putting them back up in my closet and drawers. I know that if I don't do it right away when it's done it will sit in a pile on the corner of my bed till I force myself to put them up because I can't stand the mess anymore.

Prioritize 

This one is pretty simple. If you're finding you lack the motivation look at what you have to do and figure out which is the most important and get that done first. This way you can still achieve what you need to without slacking off hurting you.

Distraction Free Zone

Put yourself in a place or area where you can focusing without getting distracted. The comfier you are and more distractions around you the more likely it is you won't complete the task. Sit yourself at a desk or go some place quiet where you know others are also trying to be productive. Being around others who are studying can usually help get you in the right mindset to focus. If you really find that you can't work or focus for Kong's periods of time break it up into incriminates. Spend some time studying and a little time chilling and keep this going till you get it done.

Personal Rewards

If you don't see a reward that you deem good enough to get the task done make one up yourself. It can be anything from catching up on your favorite show to going out to eat at your fav restaurant. Whatever it is treating yourself is a great way to set a reward system for completing tasks.

Using these tips will hopefully help get you to be productive again. It's not gonna be easy and it won't be perfect but it can make things easier. So just remember why do it today when you can do it tomorrow. Wait sorry flip that around.