My Problem With Parasitical Modern Celebrities

Stop pretending to be someone not worth the attention.

14
upload.wikimedia

When did it become ideal to worship below average peers who center their life around their image? When did it become realistic to put on a costume to resemble someone who you don't even know? Where is the logic in following others who don't deserve the pedestal they're on? Aren't we taught to lead rather than imitate? It's getting worse and worse and it's time we honestly take a step back and self-evaluate what is important to us and differentiate from what we want and what Kanye West wants. Who's to say what looks good and what doesn't, who's to say popping pills is optimal, or treating women like dirt is "cool"? That's bullsh*t. Do what you were raised to do, do what you think is right, do what your head is telling you to do, and act the way you want to act. Don't transform into a different person every 3 years when a new Snookie or Bieber emerges. Make a change because of who you are not for some ignorant rapper who thinks he can be president in 2020.

Why do we even idolize these people in the first place? It stuns me that we take people like Kim Kardashian and turn them into a mortal god. She has guys drooling at her feet and women jealous of her fame and body. She is nothing more then a blown up porn star who happened to go farther then she should in life. She constantly puts out the worse image to the world and gets away with it like it never happened. How is it that she has a net worth of 150 million dollars yet a channel on YouTube called Giveback Films can only get 600,000 subscribers. The channel is dedicated to helping out those that are less fortunate than themselves. We idealize people who represent the negative qualities our beliefs hold and they get rewarded for it. We live in a world where it's seen as a waste of time to do the right thing because nine times out of ten we won't prosper. Think twice about the next time you rate someone on their success and morality because cameras can be deceptive. Steve Jobs was known for being an innovator, a man that will go down in history as a modern genius. Well think about it, he may not have given us a reality show or another useless prank channel but he gave us more forms of entertainment ultimately leading in his immediate fame. He gave us the iPad, iPod, iPhone, but nobody stops to realize at what cost. He profited off the back of thousands of children working essentially as slaves to the extremely low wages and horrific working conditions.

We think if they made it to the top they must have done something right. So what's the end result? Imitation. We all do it and it's time we stop to think what we really are imitating. Kids that haven't even memorized their time tables but are rapping about how their "hoes" step out of line. When did that become envious? When did that become the reality we live in? Can you honestly say that this obsession with pop culture figureheads is actually making society a better place? At what cost do we buy false popularity that was built on immoral guidelines? I ask you this, if you forget this entire piece, so be it, but take one question with you and think about it. What's more impressive, taking a filth infested image and replicating it or taking it and improving it, remodeling it into something worth imitating, something worth the fame, something new and worth the eyes it catches?