The Problem With 'The Privilege Walk' Experiment

Just when you think someone is so far ahead of you, they could fall.

2007
CNA Insider

I am pursuing a minor in political science. No, I don't want to be a politician. Honestly, I am not sure that I will ever pursue a career that is even remotely political. However, I love politics. From my classes, I have learned no matter what field you go into, politics will run that career. Whoever we vote into office affects everything in our lives. No, not just one person, but every person elected.

There are many lessons I have learned throughout the minor. Because of my minor, my eyes are widened to many discriminations that I may never experience. Nevertheless, there is one lesson I disagree on.

My whole class stood in the snow shoulder-to-shoulder. About 60 feet in front of us, my TA stood holding a twenty dollar bill. My professor held a piece of paper somewhere in the middle of us and the finish line.

The instructions for this activity were to take a step forward in the statement is something that has happened to you. Then halfway through the activity, it switched and you took a step backward for every statement that pertained to you.

My professor started the statements, "Take a step forward if your parents are funding your college." 90% of my class moved forward.

"Take a step forward if your parents own a vacation house." A few stepped forward.

"If both parents completed college take a step forward." Most of my classmates stepped forward.

After 20 or so questions, we were not instructed to take a step back.

"Take a step back if your parents filed for foreclosure." Only a few stepped back.

"If you were raised in a single parent household take a step back." More than you would expect took a step back.

"If you are taking out loans for your education take a step back." Two other students and I took a step back.

The questions continued.

So, as the activity closed I stood in the back of the group. Not the very back, but pretty close. My professor now told us to run to the TA for the money. She then turned to us, and said, "Why didn't you run?" The kid next to me replied, "There was no point."

And yes, this might be true.

But life isn't a race for twenty dollars.

There are no doubt instances of privilege that we face. However, this activity fails to realize that every human being has opportunities to get ahead. Yes, it may be harder for me than some of my classmates, but that isn't an excuse to give up. My problem with this activity is it tells people there is no use in running.

Think of this, the fastest kid in the room is in the back, and the slowest and clumsiest is the front. No one runs, but these two students. The kid in the front trips and skins his knee. By doing so, he could have given the fastest kid just enough time to snatch the twenty dollars.

Life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean you stop trying. Privilege isn't everything. There are traits employers look for that you can not fake. No matter what you say, I believe hard work, character, and ambition will always trump the situation you are put in.

There will always be an excuse, but you will never know if you never try. Personally, I will never give up just because society says I should. Just when you think someone is so far ahead of you, they could fall. You could prevail.