The Pressure Of "Looking Good" As A Woman

Embracing all forms of beauty. Most importantly your own.

142
Dove Real Beauty Campaign

It is about time we talked about the most dreaded conversation topic among women across the globe — body image. Yes, I know it is a constant discussion in various media outlets, but has it really become a relevant topic across media platforms everywhere? This may come off as feminist, and if so, I am honored, but the body image conversation seems to be skewed a bit differently than the same conversation among men.

I turn to the goddess herself, Tina Fey, for her thoughts.

We live in a time where nearly anything is possible in altering yourself as long as you have the money to do so. That is not the only reason the ideal female image has erupted into something nearly impossible to possess. This desire to fulfill an impeccably perfect body can be different among everyone. The point is that it seems to be expected by everyone.

See here as Jon Stewart, host of "The Daily Show," mocks the nationally viewed news media as they announced the sensitively profound discovery of Bruce Jenner transitioning to Caitlyn Jenner. Be sure to watch it until the very end.

And a little bit of insight from the newly re-identified, Caitlyn Jenner.

I think it would be best if we all found our own “new normal” too.

The time has come that we focus on making women feel beautiful again, and that begins with conversation. Personally as a woman, especially one in a sorority, it is nearly impossible not to compare yourself to those around you. Not to mention the freshman 15 being very real, and don’t forget about the next three years that may be gain years too. The 21 Run has come and gone, and you have had a few brews in the process. Now this feeling sets in.

It could take weeks, semesters or even after graduation, but it will settle in. My close friends and family know that I have my own insecurities, but talking about them publicly is a whole other ball game. How am I supposed to expect others to speak up if I can’t myself? I have finally come to a conclusion as to why I am constantly worried about weight gain and body image, and it is not just because of the media I see each day. I have realized that what is most important to me is getting back to being healthy not just “looking good.” I just have to remember that progress is progress and baby steps are okay.

Here are a few tips and tricks that I have started using in my daily life.

Eat for your body.
Be aware of what foods improve your health in all areas. Food that gives you good energy boosts your immune system and doesn’t leave you feeling guilty.

Get active, even if it is just 30 minutes a day to start.
Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women, so make sure you keep your heart strong by staying active. My thing is to post workout circuits around places I see each day as a little reminder to do one or two when I have some free time. I turn to Cosmopolitan’s Hot & Healthy fitness features and Pinterest for my inspiration.

Drink water like it’s your job.
Water is crucial. Drink it all day, every day — in between coffee, of course. Detox waters count! And they add a yummy twist.

Do it for you, and don’t aim to look like someone else.
I am so guilty of wanting to have the perfect bodies of other people, but I’ve realized that I have to be realistic. Each one of us is different. We’ve known that forever, so keep it in mind when working to improve yourself. This is about you not anyone else.

I am a firm believer that everybody is beautiful. There should be no skinny-shaming and no fat-shaming. We should just be focusing on what is best for us all personally. Embracing all forms of beauty is the key to changing the way women are pressured to look. One campaign that does this phenomenally is the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty. Check out this video, “You’re More Beautiful than You Think” to see what I mean.

I am no personal trainer. I am not the healthiest nut in Whole Foods, but I am working to improve myself and my health. Find what is important to you and embrace it or improve it just make sure you love it.