How Becoming a Preschool Teacher Changed My Life

Watching these children grow is one of the greatest blessings I was ever given.

24
https://pixabay.com/illustrations/font-type-text-kids-children-2111748/

Ever since I was a teenager, I knew that I wanted to make a difference in people's lives. There were many people that made a difference in my life that were like me and I wanted to make that same difference in other people. The only problem was I did not know where to start. I did lots of events in college that made a difference in lots of people's lives, and that was a great start, but I wanted people to tell me they did not give up because of me. That was what I got when I started teaching at a preschool several months after graduating from college.

I was a little bit nervous at first because the last time I worked with children was when I was in high school as a day camp counselor for preschoolers, and helped out a little bit at a film camp for kids with developmental disabilities that I used to do. Regardless, I was up to the challenge. I wanted to show these children that I was someone to depend on and shape them into the best versions of themselves they can. Not only there was a lot I taught them, but there was a lot they taught me too.

One of the biggest things being a preschool teacher has taught me was patience. Toddlers and preschool-age children are still learning about the world around them, so being patient with them and giving them as much encouragement as possible is a must. Every child learns at a different pace, so when they do not meet a certain milestone at a certain time, they should not be discouraged. They should be encouraged to try again and keep trying until they succeed. The praise we give makes them feel good and makes them want to try more new things.

I always get excited for another day at the preschool because every day with the children is a day of fun. There is always something new to teach the kids, and always something new I would be learning on the job. There is never a dull day when I am teaching at the preschool. Each and every child makes me realize how I really can make a difference in anyone's lives and I do have the ability to shape the future of anyone. I could not be more thankful for them and their influence on me.

For the longest time, I would not have thought I would find a way I would be able to make a difference in other people's lives. Getting to do so in a fun and nurturing environment is even better since I can give that influence to toddlers and preschool-age children. These children are very impressionable, so I have to be the best example I could be for them and guide them in a way to they can reach their full potential. Watching these children grow is one of the greatest blessings I was ever given.