A Prayer For Silence

A Prayer For Silence

Listening for His voice in gentle whispers
544
"So He said [to Elijah], 'Go forth and stand on the mountain before the LORD.' And behold, the LORD was passing by [the mountain]! And a great and strong wind was rending the mountains and breaking in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of a gentle blowing. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in the mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. And behold, a voice came to him, and said, 'What are you doing here, Elijah?...'"

We pray for healing, comfort, shelter, grace, and forgiveness. We sing praises, read our Bibles, and listen to all the best contemporary Christian music. We live every day like the one before it without stopping.

Each time we pray, we ask for what we want and not what we need. What we need is silence. Silence is what reveals the state of our souls better than any sermon.

Silence penetrates the parts of our hearts that we thought were too deep to reach. Through silence, we allow our barriers to collide with gentle whispers from our Savior to our souls.

Silence penetrates us, terrifies us, consumes us, and is vital to our relationship with Christ.

Our Lord can move mountains and part seas, but the intimate communication that happens when he desires to reveal something to us is more powerful than Old Testament like displays. He desires to reveal his love to us in gentle whispers and in quiet moments where our soul is completely still.

This connection with the Creator is the most powerful thing yet, as fallible humans, we forget the opportunity we have to meet with him on such a personal level.

We let our busy lives take precedence and live in fear of the moments when we have to stop to let our sweet Savior reclaim our wandering souls.

Be terrified. Be vulnerable. Be silent. Prepare your heart for gentle whispers from the Savior.