Praise To The FDA

Praise To The FDA

The long, delayed change to the nutritional label.

17
Praise To The FDA

A change that should have happened years ago has finally been made. The nutrition label found on the back of almost all food products is getting a facelift. The FDA made these changes in hopes to help people make healthier choices. Dietician and myself are rejoicing now that the outdated food label has been optimized to correlate with the most recent research.

1. The Bigger, The Better

The font size for “calories,” “servings per container” and the “serving size” is going to be increased. This will make it easier for people to see just how much one serving actually is. Sadly the serving size is a minimal 15 chips, not 45…a mistake we all make. The numbers of calories and serving sizes are also going to be made bold.

2. Let's Talk About Fat

The “Calories from Fat” is being removed from the label. After studies were completed, the type of fat is shown to be more important than the amount. This section will now include “Trans Fat” along with “Total Fat” and “Saturated Fat” which already hold a place.

3. Bring On The Sugar

“Added sugars” will now be a subcategory under “Total Sugars.” Research shows that it is nearly impossible to reach your daily nutritional needs if you consume more than 10 percent of your calories from added sugars. Our minds are going to be blown when we see how many products actually have added sugars.

4. Would you like to supersize that?

Since 1993, when the nutrition label was last significantly changed, the amount that people eat has increased. The serving sizes will now be a more accurate depiction of how much people truly eat. For example, eight ounces used to be the serving size for pop, now it will be increased to 12 ounces. I’m not so sure that’s a good thing, but hey, now it’s accurate.

5. More Vitamin D, Please

The new label is changing around which vitamins are shown at the bottom. Vitamins A and C won’t be required any longer. This is because majority of the population doesn’t have a problem with consuming enough of those nutrients. On the other hand, Vitamin D and potassium will be required along with calcium and iron which already are. This is the FDA’s way of nudging us, saying that we need to consume more of those nutrients.

So all-in-all, this is a step in the right direction for a more informed society. However, going forward, the food label should be updated at least every five years to keep pace with ongoing research. In the meantime, as we chug our fruit punch Gatorade and eat an entire bag of Doritos, we'll notice the added sugars and serving sizes staring deep into our soul, and just maybe reach for a sugar-free and smaller alternative next time. Maybe...