How To Practice Awareness In Your Everyday Life

Even when you're super busy!

109

School, socializing, work, laundry and emails are only just a short list of our everyday priorities. Our minds are always on overdrive thinking about what we’re doing now and what we’re going to be doing next. It’s crazy to even think that our brains can process all of these demands. Doing this, we disregard our current feelings and emotions, and instead create an unhealthy load of stress. Practicing awareness is something everybody should be doing on a daily basis! Here are steps in which you can allow yourself to live in this present.

1. Chores

Practicing awareness during situations that may be a burden is extremely important to your overall health. Whether you’re making your bed, cleaning the bathroom, or doing the dishes, you must take it one step at a time. Don’t do the dishes while thinking of that text you need to make to your friend later, just do the dishes and be thankful in that moment. Focus on one dish at a time, and don’t think about anything else (it has even been proven that doing the dishes can be therapeutic!). Watch and see how surprised you will be at how amazing it is to have done a complete job!

2. Breathing

Even though you do it so much, we all overlook the fact that we even do it! The key to being aware is to be mindful of your body and live in the present. Take some time each day to sit straight up in a comfortable chair or couch and just focus on your breaths. Notice the way in which your body moves with your breath when you aren’t paying attention. You can even rest your hand on your stomach and feel the movement with each inhale and exhale. I know this may sound super silly, but is a great step to really living in the present, as well as calm yourself when you’re stressed.

3. Eating

You can practice your awareness while even eating dinner. Don't take huge bites of your food, and try to really chew your food slowly. Feel the tastes and textures in your mouth. We are so used to just eating food without even thinking about it, and once you start eating while being aware, you’ll see what you were missing! It can also give you more time at the table, and if you are eating with family or friends, this can make the present even more meaningful. Being aware is all about living in the present, so don’t rush through your meals and take for granted those you spend the time with!

4. Thoughts

You can start this practice by sitting in silence and living in present for 5-10 minutes. While you are sitting, you’re going to have thoughts coming into your head. Your overall goal is not to clear your mind, but to be aware of your thoughts. Have it come in, sink it in, and then let it go. Do not dwell on your thoughts, and try to bring your mind back to the present. Keep doing this everyday, and you will be surprised how you notice certain thoughts keep recurring, and how easy it gets in time.

5. Practice!

Becoming aware takes practice. Once you begin to notice how much of your time is spent mindlessly, your priority will be to focus on bringing your mind back to the present. Try to take time each morning and each night to practice awareness, even when walking to class or at work. The more you practice, the more you will see your mood completely change! You’ll be calmer, and your days will become brighter.