A Response to “How to Thrive at Home Post-Grad”

Being at home with your parents as an adult isn't bad.

930
Home
Instagram

This is a response to How to Thrive at Home Post-Grad.

Regarding to “How to Thrive at Home Post-Grad” article, I have to say I can relate to it because I also live at home after graduating from college for quite some time. I’m 25 years old in my government career still living at home. Like the what the author mentioned, living at home does has it perks but also, a boundary needs to be set when still living with your parents as an adult. For me, I’ve saved so much money by living at home and it helps that my job is 100% remote. In this economy today, it’s much better to live at home to save money until inflation dies down. As much as I would love to live near the city of DC in an apartment, the safest option for me is to stay with my parents for a while longer in Southern Maryland two hours away from the city life.

While still living at home, my parents were nice enough to not let me pay for rent. I only pay for my own utilities, food, water, gas, and toiletries. Most of the time, I usually do my own thing but whenever I go out, I actually to have to let my parents know where I’m going, who I’m hanging out with, and when I’m going to be home at all times. It’s a hassle since when I was in college, I’ve never told anyone where I was at all times, not even my roommates. But since I still live under my parents’ roof, I have to let them know and they decide if they approve of me going out or not. I know as an adult that I should do whatever I want but since I live under my parents’ roof and the fact that they don’t force me to pay rent and save a lot of money, I have to listen to them.

Even though there’s a downside of living with my parents, there’s already an upside, which is saving money and still doing things I love to do. Besides work, during my spare time, I love to volunteer (in person or virtually), dance, workout, write, model, listen to music, and create social media content for my @quotesforproject and recently, @womenvotersproject (which is a part of my pageant platform as Miss Maryland Petite 2023). I’m still working way up and developing myself into the women that I wanted to be, which my parents take note of.

Moral of the story, you can still thrive at home post grad and build yourself up. The article does a good job talking about it. So don’t beat yourself up if you’re still living at home. You can still succeed and build your career. Your parents will still be there to support you along the way as long as you can still communicate with each other.