Post Abroad Depression Is Real Guys...And So Is The Real World

Traveling is all fun and games until you come home with a negative bank account balance. Take a deep dive into my little world of being a wanna be working adult and wanna be world traveler all while having 3 jobs, no money, and no free time!

40
Thought Catalog

I've officially been back from Australia for over a month now, and let me tell you a little something about "reality": it's rude. There's truly no better way for me to say it. Reality is kicking my butt and I wasn't expecting it. I went from basically being on vacation for 4 months with little to no school work to trying to work 3 jobs, play soccer, workout, and maintain a social life. For the record, if anyone out there has any tips or tricks to managing all this, PLEASE drop them in the comments below.

In terms of abroad, it is extremely difficult for me to even look at any pictures taken abroad because these instant memories of adventure and freedom come along with them. It's heartbreaking. I know many people may not be able to relate to these feelings, but for those of you who understand, I know it sucks. But in the midst of feeling sad and wishing I could go back, I've realized that I've got to put on my big girl pants and get a head start at being this "responsible" adult figure. I mean, I don't really want to do that at all, I really just want to spend all of my money on an RV and travel for the rest of my life, but I've got to be a little realistic, I guess.

Making that change from living abroad to living back home was tough. Adjusting back to a lifestyle you stopped living was difficult within itself. I remember flying back home and walking into my house and it didn't feel like home. Urbanest felt like home. Sydney, Australia was home. It took a little while to understand that it simply wasn't anymore. No more waking up at 10:00am and taking the bus to the beach. No more partying 4 nights a week because we had nothing better to do. No more gelato trips. No more sleepless nights with my best friends. All of that is just somehow in the past. It's a strange concept; living with these girls for 4 months, then living back at home, alone.

Working all day everyday trying to make money while still trying to be a kid is hard work too. Also, side note, I'd like to speak with the person that decided once you become an "adult" you aren't allowed to do fun things like travel, go out on weeknights, stay up late, etc. I just want to talk. Seriously, balancing is hard. Now try to fit in self care and moments of peace and relaxation, and you're soon to be going insane; at least I know I am. The craziest part is that I'm just getting started. I'm just dipping my toes into what it's like in the "real world". Don't get me wrong, I am ready to absolutely kill it out there. I can't wait until the day when I'm the one kicking reality's butt. But for now, I'll sit here at my little intern desk typing away, reminiscing on memories of just a couple months ago wishing I could go back, until one day…I finally do.