6 Positives News Pegs We Can All Focus On

As darkness seems imminent, rays of hope manage their way through clouds of negativity.

438
Alexa Mazzarello

With another mass shooting looming over the heads of Americans, the news has been largely negative.

These issues currently being covered are extremely important and should continue to be discussed, but it is important to remember there are still some positive things happening in the world.

Here are some things shining positive light through the darkness that is our political climate, keeping hope for the future of our country alive:

1. Companies are beginning to cut ties with the NRA

In light of the Parkland, Florida school shooting, many companies are beginning to cut their affiliations with the NRA. Some include United Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Enterprise, Hertz, Avis/Budget, TrueCar, Best Western, Wyndham Hotels, MetLife, Paramount RX, Chubb and Symantec.

2. "Black Panther" proves to be a huge success

"Black Panther," Marvel’s first African American superhero featuring an all African American cast, has been the success it was expected to be during its opening week.

It has earned around $700 million and has yet to open in China and Japan. At this rate, it could be one of the highest grossing superhero films of all time.

3. South Korea’s president joined the #MeToo movement

President Moon Jae-in of South Korea has joined the #MeToo movement by acknowledging and giving his respects to victims who have spoken out about sexual assault and harassment against once respected and important citizens of his country.

According to AP News, Moon has called for the movement to continue to grow and grasp more attention in South Korea.

4. Parkland, Florida students started a growing movement against gun violence

Survivors of the Stoneman Douglas Shooting in Parkland, Florida have started a movement titled March For Our Lives.

The students who suffered the shooting have planned a march to take place in Washington, D.C. and all communities across the country on March 24th, 2018 against gun violence.

The students have called for policy change that will address gun violence in this country.

5. A court order denied President Donald Trump’s plan to end DACA on March 5th

Trump requested that the Supreme Court review the decisions of lower courts to block the expiration of DACA, to which the Supreme Court denied the request.

According to the Washington Post, federal judges from California and New York issued injunctions that would block ending the program on March 5th as the Trump administration had planned.

6. Oregon Senate approved a new bill regarding gun control

The new bill would prevent domestic abusers from purchasing guns. If the person has a current restraining order against them or any domestic violence convictions, the bill would prevent said person from being allowed to purchase a gun legally.

The bill is known as the Intimate Partner Loophole. The bill passed 16-13 and is expected to be signed into law.