I've Seen Several "Trendy" Brands On Campus And Honestly, Not All Of Them Are Worth Your Money

Forever 21 is affordable, however, the quality is not always the best.

312
Twitter

Now that I have been in college for several months, I have noticed trends in the things college students wear. Standing in the heart of campus, I will always see at least five people wearing Patagonia jackets or Lululemon leggings. I have gotten used to seeing these brands around campus, and have even gone along with the trends, by purchasing some of these items. Below I will give my honest opinions regarding these popular college brands.

1. Patagonia

There really isn't anything special about this brand, you are honestly just paying for the Patagonia label. The fact that your jacket, sweater, or shirt has a label that reads Patagonia says "look at me, I can afford an overpriced piece of clothing". The sweaters are soft and warm but you can honestly find cheaper alternatives.

2. Birkenstock

There really are no alternatives or competitors when it comes to Birkenstock, they are truly "one of a kind". The only bad thing about Birkenstock sandals is that they are not water resistant and leave a dark print on the sole making them appear dirty, as seen in my sandals above.

3. Lululemon

Lululemon leggings are very soft, stretchy, and make your butt look amazing. The only "bad" thing about them is that they are quite pricey, just one pair is nearly $100!

4. UGG Australia

UGG boots and slippers are super warm. I've had a pair of UGGs for several years now and they are still in perfect condition. Sadly, the bad thing about these is that most of them aren't water resistant and can get quite ruined when worn in the rain. UGG boots are really only best worn on a dry crisp cold morning.

5. Forever 21

Forever 21 is super affordable and has very trendy clothing. Sometimes the quality isn't the best, however, you get what you pay for. Overall, if you are a broke college student, like many of us, Forever 21 is the place to shop.

6. Urban Outfitters

Wearing something from Urban Outfitters will make you feel like you belong in Vogue Magazines College Edition Editorial (if they had one). While it can make you look "Hipster" I do not think it is worth the price because you can literally go thrift shopping and find very similar pieces for the fraction of the cost.

7. American Eagle

American Eagle is not super affordable like Forever 21 and not so overpriced like Urban Outfitters; it is sort of in-between. The quality of the American Eagle is good, and personally, I've never had any complaints regarding their clothing. American Eagle is most popular for their jeans and cute flannels—staples for a college students closet! However, If you are looking for unique and very fashion-forward apparel, this is probably not the store for you, because like previously mentioned, it's mostly just good for their staple items.

8. Nike

This is just a classic sports brand worn by many college students. Whether or not you are at the gym, you will at least see someone around campus wearing Nike. Many brands come and go, but Nike is a classic that does not cease to exist. Good quality, reasonable price, and a clean look. Nothing bad to say about this brand really.

In the end, this is just a helpful guide for anyone considering buying these popular college brands. Whether or not you are a college student, this guide can give you honest advice on apparel or footwear from the brands mentioned above.